First settings for SWG

jtlup

Apr 24, 2019
Bryant, AR
Hey folks,

So we’re getting a new liner installed tomorrow. While the pool was out of service I installed a new Circupool Smartflo pump and new Circupool Edge 40. I know I will need to SLAM the pool as soon as it’s full, but this will be my first experience with the VS pump and a SWG.

The problem is we leave for a week on Sunday, so I won’t be around to monitor/dial-in the new system. Can anyone recommend some settings that would be a safe bet for while we’re gone? Or would it be best to leave the SWG off and just put some pucks (if I can find some) in a floater for while we’re gone.

Thanks!

Why do you think a SLAM is required if the pool is completely empty with new liner coming? You may have some residual water in the plumbing or filter which you can let circulate and run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to feel safe. So let's see ... new liner Thurs, and you dump the salt in that evening. You can't turn on the SWG until Friday evening (24 hrs wait). So that give you about 2 days to figure out how to run your pump and SWG. You have various options:
- Stick with manual chlorine, but that defeats the purpose of the SWG.
- Set pump to run 24 hrs (low rpm) and minimal SWG percentage to product about 3-4 ppm of FC in 24 hrs
- Set pump to run 12 hrs on 12 hrs off and program SWG percentage to produce 4 ppm of FC in half the time

Those a re just a couple basic options. Whichever you prefer that is easier for now. Be sure to use the PoolMath APP to help you with those output calculations. Let us know if you have other questions.

Reactions: jtlup
Thanks! I guess I just assumed I would start with a SLAM. If I don’t need to, that’s even better. And I don’t really have any idea how long it will take to fill… I’m guessing it won’t be until Saturday. Just a water hose available.

Thanks for the settings ideas… I have been playing with the pump and have the scheduling figured out. I guess the SWG is just such an unknown for me, I’m a little nervous to just trust it. 😄

I’m guessing it won’t be until Saturday.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that little tidbit. Ha. :) Remember the following once full:
1. Let water mix for about 30-45 min before grabbing a water sample to test.
2. New water has no CYA, so have a sock ready to soak and increase the CYA. We recommend a CYA of 70 for salt pools. If you elect to not mess with the SWG in such a short amount of time before you leave and go manual chlorine, only take the CYA to 50.
3. On day one of fill, add 3 ppm of chlorine. After that, balance per the FC/CYA Levels.
4. Make sure the pH is in the 7 range
Don't worry about the TA. CH is basically N/A for your vinyl. That should get you going.

You might be able to use 2 hoses. Don't you have a hose bib out front and one in the backyard? Run both with hoses to the pool. If you don't have hose(s), either ask a neighbor if you feel comfortable asking or go buy a hose that will go from the front to the pool. Just a thought.

You might be able to use 2 hoses. Don't you have a hose bib out front and one in the backyard? Run both with hoses to the pool. If you don't have hose(s), either ask a neighbor if you feel comfortable asking or go buy a hose that will go from the front to the pool. Just a thought.
Unfortunately, only one hose out on my entire house. There is a well in the front, but doesn’t have any kind of treatment on it…. anybody’s opinion on whether it’s ok to use that?

There is a well in the front, but doesn’t have any kind of treatment on it…. anybody’s opinion on whether it’s ok to use that?
Avoid the well if at all possible. Well water generally has iron in it and that make pool life a mess. :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.