First season closing an AGP got a couple of quick questions :)

Aug 31, 2016
Knoxville/TN
Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I read a sticky and pool school's article on closing an AGP, but I'm still stuck at a couple of points. I live in east TN, and we're just now hitting some potential freezing temps at night. My water has finally hit the 58-60deg F temps for the last couple of days, and I have maintained shock level per my CYA level for the last couple of days as well. Pool is spotless right now color looks good chems are testing well.

I am just at a loss on how I 'purge' any remaining water from my PVC / pump / filter before I shut her down for the next several months. I am currently in the process of draining the water to 6" below the return jet. I have a Hayward sand filter with the pretty typical valve settings..

I guess the basics of my questions are these: If I set the filter to "Winter" and remove the drain plug, viewing glass, and pressure gauge on the filter-- will that be sufficient to allow water to get out before risk of freezing in the PVC pipes / filter / anywhere. Or I've read that I may need to get myself a shop vac and just blow the heck out of the lines.. maybe from the skimmer intake to purge as much water as possible out of the hardware?

Is it possible to run the pump "dry" for any amount of time to purge lines of residual H2O, or is that a no bueno bad idea?

Thanks for helping a lost individual! I'm ready to get this guy closed so I can learn and focus on my spa for the next couple of months. This community has been an amazing help!

Can you please take pictures of your pool (where the lines are) and the equipment pad. Some people disconnect the equipment (if possible). The idea in closing a pool is to purge the lines of water and plug (close) the ends. Here is a link in winterizing the filter.

Winterizing your Sand Filter (same as other sand filters with multi-port)

DE and Cartridge Filters work different

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

winterizing with a sand filter

Hi Catanzaro thanks for the reply. It's pretty difficult to resize my cellphone pics to upload here on the forum so I just made a post on imgur. Here's some shots I took a little while ago of the lines / filter / pump.

Pool Filter / Lines / Pump pics - Album on Imgur

Please share any advice you have! Thanks

edit: The pool is housed by a deck, and it's difficult to get up under there to do anything. The lines you see I'm sure you can assume what they are but the one favoring the left with the red valve control is coming from the skimmer and the other one is the return jet. I posted the pics of that little knob on the filter because I was wanting to ask experienced pool owners if that's the drain valve or if I'm way off base?

As stated before, do not run the pump dry. You should be able to disconnect the pump at the union in front of the pump and disconnect the hose going from the pump to the filter and take the pump inside for the winter. If you are unable to remove the pump be sure to remove the plug at the front of the pump basket at the bottom and leave it off so if any water makes it's way to the pump it can drain out right away. Also, leave the valve going from the skimmer to the pump open because you do not want to take a chance of water somehow getting into the line, getting trapped there, freezing and then breaking your pipe there. I would also consider undoing the union between the filter and the return and letting that drain as well. Leave the cap off of the filter drain all winter and set the valve on top to winter.

Personally for me in PA, I drain my pool down some but I only drain down to the top of my return and I plug the return. I use an aqua door to cover the skimmer opening. I then disconnect all my plumbing and take the pump and everything but the filter inside and store it in my basement for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.