Freeland, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Just got my TF-100 kit for my little AGP. We have big plans to go in-ground in the next year or two so I'm trying to get the hang of water chemistry down now. It is a salt pool, sand filter, just had to add some water so I know it needs a little salt added. Intex says 2587 gallons. The pool was clear until this morning. Heavy use the last few days and now it is cloudy. First thought is to hit the SWG boost cycle and add some bleach.

Salt 2400ppm
PH 7.5
FC 1 (maybe 0.5) It barely turned pink at all
CC 0.5 to 1
TC 1 to 2
TA 130
CYA 20

Any thoughts on the correct method of correction? SLAM?

Great job on the quality test kit.
With cloudy water, go to SLAM Process. Start dissolving another 10 ppm of CYA and assume you have 30 ppm CYA in water. Raise your FC to 12 ppm and maintain.

Once you pass the three criteria, add some salt and get your SWCG operating.

Total new guy question I'm sure, but if I have a salt pool, why and I looking to hit the non-SWCG pool SLAM level of 10 to 12? Is this just because my CYA level is so low? Or because during the SLAM the SWCG is turned off?

At what point should I raise the CYA to 70-80ppm as the Pool Math app suggests being ideal?

The salt in the pool does not determine the SLAM level FC, the CYA does. So by keeping the CYA in the 30 ppm range, you can SLAM using 12 ppm FC. Once you complete the SLAM process, and pass all three criteria, you will raise your CYA level to the SWCG level and start using the SWCG to generate the chlorine you need on a daily basis.

Really appreciate all the help. I added some bleach earlier this morning (34oz) and just had to add more (27oz) after testing my FC again. At least the solution clearly had turned pink this time instead of barely getting a pink hue this morning. I'll give it another couple hours and test again.

I've added bleach in the amounts stated above, both of which I got from the pool math app based on my ~2500 gallon pool. The target was 10 FC and even after the second application of bleach I'm still only registering 3.5 to 4 FC. Does this seem normal and that I'll have to keep adding more bleach until it gets to 10? I also attempted to raise my CYA levels to 30, but that reading also barely moved.

When I perform the FC test, the solution does turn pink, then I add drops and it pretty quickly turns clear after shaking it up a bit. If I let it sit for a minute it definitely turns back to a pale pink. Do I keep going until it stays clear even after sitting for a minute or is the instantaneous change to clear all I'm looking for?

SLAM Process means you add enough chlorine to raise back to your SLAM level FC. Do that every few hours. So if you test 3.5ppm, add 6.5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine. Once you add some more CYA, go to 12 ppm FC for SLAM level.

Try to test and add chlorine at least 3-4 times per day.

Read the article linked above.

For your FC test, once the sample turns clear by dropping in the reagent, the test is complete. Dispose of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.