May 19, 2016
Bristol, CT
So here's my first full test after having to order some refill reagents:

FC: 4.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 50
CH: 110
CYA: ~55

My pool was a green monster when I opened it...we had a bunch of leaves and stuff leftover on the bottom because we closed SUPER late and couldn't get everything out. The pool actually went from green to cloudy in the first day....but has since remained cloudy. We've worked hard and I'm pretty sure we've got about 95% of the debris out of the pool (but it's tough to tell because we can't see past about 4').

My theory is that my CH level is very low and it's pulling calcium from my plaster....causing the cloudiness. TA needs to come up some, but I don't believe that would make the pool this cloudy.

Any thoughts?

You might have a one-two punch going on with your pool. Your CH is low and needs to be brought up asap AND you had/have algae. Here is your fix:

-Bring up the CH-https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

-Do a SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The most important part of the SLAM is M=maintain as in maintain the FC at SLAM level and run your filter 24/7 to get it clear!

Take and share a picture of your pool for future reference.

Kim:kim:

Personally, I would probably adjust your CH before the SLAM.

Right now, your higher pH is keeping your CSI in the safe zone.

But, your SLAM will be more effective at a lower pH.

AND, once you get to SLAM levels, your pH test results aren't as reliable.

Bring your CH to about 250.

Then, lower your pH to about 7.2 - 7.5

Retest your TA, as it's a tad low right now, and lowering your pH will lower it a tiny more.

Recalculate your CSI, making sure you are in the safe zone still.

Then start the SLAM.

Got home to a less cloudy pool. On the way! First chance I got to check the numbers was last night:

FC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 50
CH 270
CYA: 41 (had rain while gone)

We can see to the bottom at the middle (about 5') of the pool now, which is a huge step in the right direction. I didn't leave a floater puck in (wasn't expecting FC to drop so quickly). There's a little more debris visible now that we can see more of the bottom; hopefully the robot can grab it (we're having some issues with it). I put 121 oz of 8.5% bleach in this morning, so I'll run the numbers again when I'm home. I'll need to stop by the store to grab some more bleach before I start the SLAM.

The FC drop means that the chlorine is working (due to the debris), right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the labels on the sight glass are in increments of 10, but they're spaced far enough apart that it's not too difficult to interpolate the ones digit.

I know all the FC/shock numbers are based off of 10's, so I just round as it's appropriate.

I know all the FC/shock numbers are based off of 10's, so I just round as it's appropriate.[/QUOTE

Had us a little worried there. For the sake of our sanity :crazy: can you please round up when you post your results a well? :hug: THANKS!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.