First Pool -- Very Frustrated

Here, let me try and help you with a visual of what you'll get if you do it the TFP way.

Funny my own pool looks much the same way!

Here is a pic I posted on FB yesterday to say "Happy Summer Y'all"! :cheers:

1073258907_photobucket_28038_.jpg

Now trust me when I say this.

When you do it the TFP, BBB, The Pool Calculator and TF-100 way your pool will look this way and you'll actually have time and $$$ for other things in life :party:

An update: I ordered a FAS-DPD test kit from TFTestKits. That way I'll have a better handle on the exact levels of chlorine.

I can see the bottom of the pool after a week. I kept the FC level up as high as I could without having the accurate kit for roughly 5 days. I've been on top of it testing every day to make sure there is chlorine in the pool since I'm pretty sure the automatic chlorinator is useless.

The water is still a little bit cloudy-- almost like a haze-- and I'm wondering how long I might expect that to clear up. From what I read, sand filters are notoriously slower at cleaning up the water -- has anyone else found this to be the case. Is there anything else I might be doing wrong that can contribute to the residual cloudiness? I have vaccumed twice, and we were in the pool yesterday kicking up anything else that may have been trapped on the bottom. Once the FAS-DPD test arrives (probably today or tomorrow) I'll repost my levels. Again, I'll note that I do not leave the filter running through the night because of worries from my husband that something will trap in the skimmer and burn out the motor. (I can't make this stuff up!) Thanks in advance for the advice.

jeanettepool said:
I understand that this is a process, but it boggles my mind that some people can simply open up their pools for the summer, barely test for anything, drop in a few tablets to a floating dispenser and have crystal-clean water the entire season. Anyway, the pool is no longer green, just cloudy, so I'll keep on chugging on this week and see what we come up with. I imagine I'll be hitting up all the area stores and buying them out of Clorox.

If you know anyone like that, ask them how much it cost per month to maintain their pool? I usually spend less than 50.00 a month to maintain our pool. Most of that goes to bleach, with acid in a second place.

jeanettepool said:
An update: I ordered a FAS-DPD test kit from TFTestKits. That way I'll have a better handle on the exact levels of chlorine.

I can see the bottom of the pool after a week. I kept the FC level up as high as I could without having the accurate kit for roughly 5 days. I've been on top of it testing every day to make sure there is chlorine in the pool since I'm pretty sure the automatic chlorinator is useless.

The water is still a little bit cloudy-- almost like a haze-- and I'm wondering how long I might expect that to clear up. From what I read, sand filters are notoriously slower at cleaning up the water -- has anyone else found this to be the case. Is there anything else I might be doing wrong that can contribute to the residual cloudiness? I have vaccumed twice, and we were in the pool yesterday kicking up anything else that may have been trapped on the bottom. Once the FAS-DPD test arrives (probably today or tomorrow) I'll repost my levels. Again, I'll note that I do not leave the filter running through the night because of worries from my husband that something will trap in the skimmer and burn out the motor. (I can't make this stuff up!) Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sounds like things are improving! :goodjob: Keep doing what you are doing and, like you said, post the FC/CC #'s when you get your kit.
Also do the Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test (how to in Pool School).

No running of pump overnight, huh? Well, our DH's might be related because my DH also refuses to run our pump at night. Period. Yep, we can't make this up! lol :lol:

If it's improving a little every day, just keep doing what you're doing until you get the kit. Once you get it and have passed the OCLT there's a couple things that we can suggest that may help it along. Post the results when you get them. And if you have any questions about using the new kit, post them here too.

Did the OCLT, I lost 2.5 ppm, so I'm shocking. I got a little distracted while doing the drops last night, so I'm not entirely sure my nighttime FC reading was accurate, but I'm playing it safe anyhow. Here were my numbers from this morning.
FC 6.5
CC 1.0
pH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 30

One other question ... is it a myth that you can't reenter the water until the FC is under a certain number? Most of the chemicals say that on the bottle/bag. Is there a FC level where it is really unsafe to swim? Because if you're doing the CYA/Chlorine conversion, some pools require a higher FC. Just curious?

While fixing a friend's pool, I managed to misread the CYA level pretty bad. We did let my husband into the pool when the FC was some 2 or 3 ppm above shock level and he said that the water that got into his dive mask was irritating and after 20 or 30 minutes the water irritated his nose.

Bama Rambler said:
Once you get it and have passed the OCLT there's a couple things that we can suggest that may help it along.

Well, I'm nearly there. The OCLT test today was a loss of 1.5 ppm. I did test a bit after the sun was on the pool a little because I overslept. Can I assume that I'm pretty much good? :? Even still, I brought it back up to shock level one more time. What are these things that can be suggested to help along the clearing of the residual haziness? Let me explain what the pool looks like at this time:

– You can see to the bottom when looking directly down into the water. If you look a little way across to the middle of the pool, you can still make out the liner pattern, it's a little harder to see.
– We have these white steps into the pool. When you look around the steps the water appears slightly hazy, almost as if you mixed a little baby powder into the water.
- When you're actually swimming, you can see your feet but they are hazy below the water -- finding things that have floated to the bottom, like toys, is difficult unless they are brightly colored.
– Swimming underwater with goggles reveals a strata effect. The top third of the water is clear, as is the bottom. It's the middle that seems to harbor the haze. You don't have sharp visibility. Sort of like snorkeling in the ocean on a choppy day.

Really looking forward to having that diamond, sparkling appearance soon so please let me know any tricks. But I have a feeling the trick is just more patience! :roll:

You aren't done, keep shocking. Your OCLT should be zero. If you stop too soon your water might stay clear, but your chlorine usage will be higher keeping it that way due to lurking organics in the pool.

In regards to your cloudiness going away, I have a sand filter, it can take days, even over a week, for the cloudiness to go away. But don't worry, you'll get there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really looking forward to having that diamond, sparkling appearance soon so please let me know any tricks. But I have a feeling the trick is just more patience! :roll:

You are correct - a little more POP (Pool Owner Patience) is needed :goodjob:

You are done shocking when you meet three criteria: See red lines in my sig.

You are a getting close to having sparkly diamonds...... :)

OCLT test results 6/30

Well OCLT was only a loss of .5 ppm FC, I've got .5 cc of CC this time around, and the pool is the clearest it's been since it was put up. I really think I'm on my way and will continue to just let it filter to get it to sparkle. Will keep on top of monitoring levels and hopefully the rest of the season I'll be set. Thanks everyone. I think my husband owes me a nice dinner out for all this hard work -- who agrees?!!

Keep shocking and DON"T ever let it go below your shock level on the CYA chart. :p
If you were to run the sand filter 24/7 that would be a lot better for impatient syndrome.
Burning up the motor/pump is not anything I would worry about from running it at night.
I ran mine 24/7 until I got the pool perfect, now I just run it during the day.
I turn it off an hour after we get out of it in the evenings (we swim sometimes as late as 9pm now)
As soon as we get out of the pool, I test and add chlorine so the pump runs an hour after.
Last one out of the house in the AM turn the pump back on.
Timer for the pump project is next for me.
I also think I'm going to set up a auto timer/liquid chlorine pump/container with the anticipation of a bigger pool in the future. :idea:

Chuck

I think my husband owes me a nice dinner out for all this hard work -- who agrees?!!
Probably more than that! Congrats on getting to the end of a hard job. Like you are thinking, it is a good idea to hold your FC up a little while longer and keep the filter going until it really sparkles.

Just letting everyone know that my pool has been nice and clean for several days now. :party: We're all very happy and enjoying it. I'm testing almost every day just to be sure the FC is holding. I don't want a green swamp every again. Thank you TFP!

Congrats!

Now it should be a smooth sail... just dont let your FC level drop below the minimum required. This will keep the bad things from growing in the first place...

Congratulations! Isn't it just the best feeling when you know what is going on with your pool!

You know it is safe and clean for your family and friends and you know how to keep it that way!

All your hard work paid offf and now you can just relax and enjoy it! :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Now can we see a pic of your pool? :cool:

Pic of Pool

Here's the pool. It's slightly overcast outside so it doesn't have that amazing sparkle from the sun, but you can see it's clear! :whoot: Now I have to wonder if I can do the BBB method to clear up my fish tank, LOL.

Attachments

• 102_0025.JPG
    102_0025.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 102_0026.JPG
    102_0026.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 102_0027.JPG
    102_0027.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.