First Pool Measurement with TF-100, New owner to pool!

kkcahdcakcyt

May 23, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Got my first measurements in my 24' above ground round pool. About 42" deep of water.

FC: 4.5
CC: 0 to 0.5 ppm
TA: 50
CYA: 0 (black dot was always visible)
pH: 6.8 (or lower I assume)

I may try the CYA again tomorrow after watching some videos on how to do it.

Hello! good job! Those numbers aren't too bad :) Are you having any issues with your water, or just wanting to take control of things?
CYA is something you have to add to the pool - if you haven't it won't appear on the test. It can come from a few sources like floating tablets, some types of shock and pure "cya" "stablizier" you buy. It's basically sunscreen for your chlorine.

You'll want to get that PH up ASAP, and get some CYA in the water. Aim for 30ppm for now, and see how that does for you, some people need more in the summer. The Pool Math phone app can calculate the dosages for you!

If it's a new fill, you won't have any CYA. You'll have to get some (it's usually called stabilizer) and add enough to bring it up to 30 or 40 ppm. Use PoolMath to determine how much you need to add, then add about half that to sneak up on 30 to 40 (I'd go for 40 given where you are -- hot and sunny). Put the granular CYA in a sock or knee high hose, then hang it in front of your outlet (where the water comes out into the pool).

Once your CYA is measureable, bring your FC up to the level indicated by the FC/CYA Levels and do your best to keep it there.

The water looks clear to me but does have some type or organic sediment at the bottom that just needs to be vacuumed. I am currently filling the water level back up to the skimmer so I can begin the vacuuming. For inheriting the pool with the house I am grateful I seem to have a great starting point. I'm worried the filter and pump may give me some trouble but we shall see.
I am a brand new member and was told to post up my results when I got my test kit.

So I would say I am trying to get control of things.
According to Pool Math I need 83 oz of Borax (20 Mule) or 2 lb of washing soda.
CYA I need to get 72 oz of dry stabilizer or a gallon of liquid.

I would think liquid would be best to get it the CYA up as soon as possible. Thinking about the location in the yard it may not get a ton of sun. Maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight until the house or trees get in the way.

Don't use the amt given by PoolMath all at once. You can overshoot your intended level. Start with half, then wait 24 to 48 hrs and test, then add half of what's left, test at 24 to 48 hrs, and so on until you reach your intended level. If you use liquid CYA be sure to shake it well, as the CYA tends to sink to the bottom.

Use the same "sneaking up" method on all your chemicals. There's nothing worse than badly overshooting some chemical where the only fix is to drain some water!

The water looks clear to me but does have some type or organic sediment at the bottom that just needs to be vacuumed. I am currently filling the water level back up to the skimmer so I can begin the vacuuming. For inheriting the pool with the house I am grateful I seem to have a great starting point. I'm worried the filter and pump may give me some trouble but we shall see.
I am a brand new member and was told to post up my results when I got my test kit.

So I would say I am trying to get control of things.
According to Pool Math I need 83 oz of Borax (20 Mule) or 2 lb of washing soda.
CYA I need to get 72 oz of dry stabilizer or a gallon of liquid.

I would think liquid would be best to get it the CYA up as soon as possible. Thinking about the location in the yard it may not get a ton of sun. Maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight until the house or trees get in the way.
Liquid is a lot more expensive, you can usually pick up some powder stabilizer from stores like walmart, lowes. We suggest placing the powder into a sock (I use a nylon stocking), tying it to a pole, and hanging it infront of a return. Then every now and then go outside and squish it up. The constant stream of water on it helps to dissolve it really quickly. You can use liquid if you want to, though!
Until you're more familiar with everything I would suggest sneaking up on the CYA/PH adjustments, it's easy to over-undershoot them. So, don't add it all at once.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.