First pool. Day two. How can a pool vac be so complicated?

Re: First pool. Day two. How can a pool vac be so complicate

jasonknox said:
I would try messing with the valve to see if you can get more suction through the vacuum hose. When I run my pool cleaner I have to adjust my valves so that more suction is diverted to my dedicated suction line. If I don't the pool cleaner does not get enough suction to move.

X2 on this ... That is if you do have a main drain?

Easto said:
When I fill the vacuum hose I throw everything in the water and keep the end of the hose in my hand. I go over to the return jet and hold the hose over it to fill the hose with water. The vacuum (or barracuda) will start to rise in the water followed by a bunch of bubbles coming out if it. When the air is gone it slowly falls back down to the bottom of the pool.

Yeah, I didn't wait nearly that long. :oops: The head came up to the top of the water and a bunch of bubbles definitely came out but I didn't wait for it to fall back down, so there's a straw I can grasp at. Sweet! :party:

On the valve question, is there a standard in the pool industry to know which pipe on which side is the drain and which is the skimmer? Like if I'm looking at the equipment, the skimmer is always on the left and the drain on the right? Anything like that?

Obviously if the water weren't 50 degrees I could jump in swim down to the drain and tell if it's working but that is most certainly NOT an option right now. Though I guess if I've got the top off the skimmer and the water is just sitting there than I'll know I've turned off the skimmer and all the suction is on the drain so I need to throw the valve the other way.

Ahhhhhhh.... so complicated. And I haven't even got to the part where I put salt in the pool. I am very happy to have found this place!

Here is a link to the G4 pool cleaner manual. It should have a pulsating, ratcheting kind of motion as it moves backwards across the pool. Make sure you are using all the parts and have them installed correctly. Also turn the cleaner head upside down, look down the opening and check the diaphragm for debris, cracks, or stickiness.

SUCCESS!!! I was doing everything correctly except letting the vac hose fill until the head or robot sunk back to the bottom. I was able to get it working on the first try and also closed off the main drai about 50% and really had the Barracuda hopping like crazy.

And then it started raining and the pool started getting cloudy and I gave up for what appears to be until at least Sunday due to the weather.

Thank you to everyone for your help with this issue and I will see you again in another thread VERY SOON. One last parting question...

Do you turn the pumps off when it rains or if they're off do you run out to turn them on? I just turned mine off because I don't see the point but maybe Im wrong? I just figured I'd turn them n when the rain subsides.

I generally want mine running if it's rainy. Any debris that gets blown in has a better chance of getting pulled into the skimmer instead of sinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.