First Pool Build, at home stretch, Installing EasyTouch

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Good day everyone. What a great resource this forum and site has been overall. Thank you.

I mounted up and wired the Pentair EasyTouch 8p, one body of water, no spa. I have 3 12V pentair lights, a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed filter pump, a Pentair 011519 WhisperFlo water feature pump (running bubbler in tanning shelf and waterfall), some 12v landscape lighting and the receptacle at the EasyTouch. I think I am good with hooking up the IC40 to the EasyTouch. I wasnt sure how many, what type(i see the inside of panel for manufactuer, just dont know amperage, gfci or not, ect) of breakers to use. I thought I read the lights should be on a double 20AMP GFCI breaker, powering a PX300 ac/dc transformer for all three lights. To power the easytouch panel and the 15amp outdoor receptacle, I would use a normal 15amp breaker, powering the gfci outlet first. Is that correct? What kind do I need for my pumps? One for each? Do I just use flexible conduit for the home runs from the pumps to the easytouch panel?

I also read out there that the 12v lights might not work right with the relays. Any experience out there with this? I saw this and KUDOS to @bdavis466 for this diagram and information on another post. Thanks again!

There are a dozen different ways that I have seen EasyTouch systems wired and they all passed local code inspections and work fine.

I personally like the idea of having a number of breakers so that I can shut off individual circuits as I wish.. The additional cost of a few breakers is not much compared to the cost of the pool.

Anything that runs off of high voltage AC (120 or 220 volts) and is in the water path should be protected by a GFCI breaker. So for me, this is one 20 Amp 220 volt GFCI for the main pump, one 120 volt 15 amp GFCI for a sump pump, and one 120 volt 15 amp GFCI for my standard 120 volt pool light.

In my case I also have standard breakers to control the power to my SWCG, the power to my GFCI outlet on the side of the EasyTouch, Landscape lighting, my equipment shed lighting and the power to ET itself.

I would also suggest that you add a surge protector in the EasyTouch as well.

In "theory" the 8 relays in the bottom of your EasyTouch are high voltage relays and not intended for low voltage operation. You should not have high voltage and low voltage circuits together in the same location.

As far as low voltage lights go, you should use the Aux relays to control the high voltage AC going to the step down transformer and not the low voltage AC going to each light.

The IntelliFlo pump gets wired directly to the breaker and does NOT go through any relays..

Your water feature pump would get wired through one of the Aux relays, so that it only runs when you want the water feature on.

Any power lines leading to the pumps needs to be inside a conduit or the water tight flex lines..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: senatore412
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.