First Pool and Glad I found You

Hey don't worry, we've all been there! And mostly we've all experimented around a bit just to learn for ourselves. Totally normal.

Did you know you can become a supporter? It's a very modest one-time tax-deductible donation. It helps us keep the lights on and help others. No pressure. We'll help just as much either way. There's a link in my signature.

Hey don't worry, we've all been there! And mostly we've all experimented around a bit just to learn for ourselves. Totally normal.

Did you know you can become a supporter? It's a very modest one-time tax-deductible donation. It helps us keep the lights on and help others. No pressure. We'll help just as much either way. There's a link in my signature.

Thanks for all your support, needsajet.

I did my weekly chemical check with the following results:
FC = 8.5
CC = 0.5
CYA = 70 <-- this is so exciting to see it go down. Did the test twice.
pH = 7.4
TA = 110 <-- not sure why these two went up. I chalk it to first time testing to now knowing a bit more
CH = 240 <-- up a little
Temp of Pool = 87

Yields a CSI = -0.08 (Balanced)

These are all good numbers in my little mind. Now that I am on track, I will not bother everyone so much by talking so much out loud.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement!

So I have noticed one small item. The pH creeps up slowly. I went from pH 7.4 to pH 7.6. My TA is 110. I am wondering if because my TA is higher than recommended, that the pH is not being held stable? Of course there could be a variety of reasons:

1) I have a fountain that I run at night to cool the water down. In case you are wondering, we attached a cheap PVC fountain to the return nozzle of the pool to aerate and hopefully cool the water. The theory was that by running it at night, the night air would cool the water being shot into the air. Well let me tell you that the theory is true. Our pool water went from an warm pool of 93 degrees to a refreshing pool of 88 degrees. However this aeration could be causing the pH to rise.
2) Summer showers. We have plenty of rain in Florida which could be causing the pH to raise if the rain is high pH?

So my numbers today after a few hours of floating and enjoying was:
FC = 6.5 down from 10. This is great! Now I know that by setting a FC at 10ppm, I am able to keep the pool from dipping below the minimum recommended FC before I add chlorine at dusk.

I added 87 oz of chlorine which rose the FC to 9.5. What this probably means is that the chlorine is slowly degrading as it sits out in the Florida heat/sun and thus I should be putting 9.5% bleach strength in the PoolMath rather than 10%.

I also did my weekly brush and vacuuming though I saw no sign of algae or items on the pool floor. Prevention is much better than battling algae.

On a final note, I purchased more 16 oz of R-0013, 16 oz of R-0871, and 16 oz of R-0004 to replenish my Taylor kit. I realize that these chemicals are only good for about a year, but I think at the rate I am testing these reagents will NOT last that long. /laugh

In 2nd last paragraph, I think you mean FC (not pH) and yes, weak chlorine could be why.

Your pH will rise from aeration, yes. Rainfall has to be substantial to have a noticeable effect, and rainfall is usually a lower pH than pool water, but don't expect to see very much effect. The cooling effect arises from evaporation primarily, and only a bit from temperature difference. So you can run the fountain when you like it best.

It's always good to keep stuff out of the pool. Anything organic will use up some chlorine, plus it looks nicer!!

In 2nd last paragraph, I think you mean FC (not pH) and yes, weak chlorine could be why.

Good catch! Seems I cannot type anymore. :D I fixed it now, Needsajet.

Yes, I am just getting an idea of:
  1. How much FC is eaten off a day on average. So far it is 3.5 to 4.5 FC a day. I will continue to watch.
  2. How to keep the pool from dropping below the minimum recommended FC during the day. This is why I am trying to find a good FC range to shoot for each night when I treat the pool.
  3. How much on average of bleach do I need to add each day to meet my FC goal.
  4. How fast on average does the pH rise so I know when I should add more MA. /ugh...hate MA.
  5. What values to place into PoolMath to get an more exact amount of FC to add to my particular pool.

Lots more stuff than you expected me to say, eh?

All good questions you're answering for yourself :)

If you find you're under-adjusting the water chemistry consistently, reduce your pool volume in PoolMath and in your signature. Maybe try 19K or 18K. If I was over-shooting, I'd call it 20K. Over time, you'll know if you have PoolMath set right. 4 or 5 times of doing a second test after an hour of circulation will tell you if your addition is hitting the mark.

Buy chlorine from a high volume store, something around 2 weeks to 2 months old. I've heard that they manufacture it a little bit on the high side, so after it finds its way to the consumer, it meets what it says on the jug most of the time.

If you're adventurous and like a little DIY, you can rig up an acid injector.

I am caught up enough on my other threads I went looking for new ones to help on.............well no help needed here! You have it NAILED!

Gold-Star.jpg

I sure hope you stay around to help others. You are what TFP is all about!

I bet you will LOVE this link. I have it printed out and in my test kit:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I think it is time to tweak your TA. Here is the link for that:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

You are correct in that a lower TA will help you with the PH but with you running the fountain to cool the pool and the heavy rain we get most days your PH will tend to rise BUT you know what to do to keep it in line. (I do NOT like MA either!)

Where are you storing your MA and bleach?

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where are you storing your MA and bleach?

Kimkats,

Thank you so much for the Gold Star. However in all fairness, it is this site and Needsajet that deserves the recognition. I am just following the advice I read or get.

Because I am leaving on TDY for a week this coming Saturday and my wife is going to care for the pool, I don't want to start making any changes to the main players in chemistry until I get back. I am looking for trends and anything to make it as easy as possible for my wife to keep the pool up while I am gone. If she has to pull the test kit out for anything, I am afraid we may see me in the SLAM section.

To answer your question, I am keeping the MA and bleach out in the direct sunlight by the pool! Isn't that optimum! /ROFLOL.... uh sorry... I know the answer to that. But currently I do not have any other convenient place to put them. I plan to purchase two plastic carry totes from Walmart next time I am there to place them in (yes, I know keep them separate). But for now, they are a balmy 100 degrees, full sunlight, take away my star storage outside.

Believe me John knows how much we value him and he has several gold stars and rings on his halo! :hug: to John!

Wife caring for pool-good plan to make it as easy as possible. "Honey pour this jug labeled Monday into the pool Monday night, Tues. goes in on Tues. night, etc" Make sure she knows to wear "old" clothes so she does not ruin something nice (Shopping trip anyone???)

When you say storage totes what do you mean? and where will you put them? The bleach does not really need a tote. It can just sit in the garage or laundry room. The MA can sit outside but I would have it in something that is vented. I worry about someone/thing knocking it over and it messing something up.

You deserve and get to keep your Gold Star. You are so far ahead of the game it is GREAT!

:kim: (Kindergarten teacher of 32 years this Aug! :shock:)

What I mean by totes are the plastic containers you normally put Christmas goodies and such in. Here is a link:

Sterilite 18 Gallon Tote Box- Steel (Available in Case of 8 or Single Unit) - Walmart.com

The reason I want these is to mostly keep the dogs and cats from messing with the bottles. Thus I will have a tote with bleach, and another with the Muriatic Acid. I will leave them beside the pool so they are in easy reach. I like easy. :)

The garage or laundry room is out of the question since that would mean carrying it through the house every day to get to the pool. I cannot imagine the wrath if that was to spill. :eek:

Now for some bad news. I got home a bit early and decided to repeat all my tests that I do on the weekends. Seems that it is just not a rumor that light has a huge effect on CYA testing. I repeated the test three times today and got a CYA of 90 every time. My back was to the sun and the vial was waist height. Only difference in this test and the one I did 2 days ago was that 2 days ago there was an overcast. OMG that is just too crazy. So I go from 70ppm to 90ppm because of an overcast? I thought I owned that test. /sigh

TA is also back up to 130 and CH up to 250. This is just crazy. My only thought could be is that these items do not disappear through evaporation. Thus as water evaporates out of my pool, the water becomes more concentrated with these compounds. Of course that may or may not be the reason for the CYA (I am thinking it is all about the light since we are talking about seeing through a medium) but it could explain the other chemical changes.

Oh well. This just goes to show that I still have a lot to learn.

You're doing great!

Most people have trouble with CYA. When it gets to 90, for your confidence, do the dilution test described at point #9 in this link: Pool School - CYA

You can do the CYA test multiple times with the same mixture. Just pour it back into the mixing vial, give it a shake, and go again
Also 'glance' for the dot. Look away, then glance. Look away, then glance.

TA and CH come in primarily via fill water, then evaporation leads to the increase. Your plaster is 3 months old, and plaster can also contribute, but there's diverse opinions here about it. Some say it's done and dusted after a month or two, others say up to a year. My bet is that it depends on the finish and the water chemistry, leading to the different opinions. But suffice to say that could be part of the source of TA and CH.

Haha, yep, we all have lots left to learn. I'll bet there's only a few people in the world who know 99% of it! :) Sadly all the misinformation that's around makes it take a lot longer than it should!

Fortunately, if you keep it between the ditches on these two charts, everything will work out well.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I will try the dilution test tomorrow. Sounds like a grand idea.

No plaster here I am afraid. Just a round vinyl pool, so I cannot blame anything but my poor measurements or evaporation.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

So long as you are consistent you will be fine. If you want you can go to TFtests (link in my siggy). They have a set up you can buy that is set up to be a CYA of 50. This can help train your eyes to the test. It is the hardest test out there.

You are doing great! I am still learning and experimenting with my pool. I found out this week that tablets do NOT work well with my pool :rolleyes: as I do a short SLAM on my pool LOL

So long as you are consistent you will be fine. If you want you can go to TFtests (link in my siggy). They have a set up you can buy that is set up to be a CYA of 50. This can help train your eyes to the test. It is the hardest test out there.

You are doing great! I am still learning and experimenting with my pool. I found out this week that tablets do NOT work well with my pool :rolleyes: as I do a short SLAM on my pool LOL

Kim,

Is there a keyboard logging program you are capturing of me? I just ordered that CYA 50 sample ($8.00 I believe) from TFTests last night. You know me TOO well! Stop watching me! LOL!:wave:

hehe I am MOD! I see all, know all!!!!!!!!!! Oh and I am OCD also sooooooooooo REALLY do understand you and how you think. I need to know the WHYS and HOWS of things.

So lets talk about testing CYA my way............

-Pull water and mix with CYA regent and let it sit while you do other tests

-Go out in sun, turn back to sun and tube at your tummy in the shade of your body

-Hold tube using your thump and forefinger at the top of the tube

-put CYA mixture to the first line (100) GLANCE in the tube and look away. IF you see the dot with the GLANCE pour to the next line.

-Pour to each line and GLANCE in until you do not see the dot with a GLANCE. If you stare you WILL see the dot so ONLY glance.

The reason I say go line to line is that we will have you round up to the next line. You and I will drive our self crazy filling and refilling until is just right...........let it GO! Just do line by line. Save your sanity! LOL

Do it this way and see how you feel about it then.

hehe I am MOD! I see all, know all!!!!!!!!!! Oh and I am OCD also sooooooooooo REALLY do understand you and how you think. I need to know the WHYS and HOWS of things.

So lets talk about testing CYA my way............

-Pull water and mix with CYA regent and let it sit while you do other tests

-Go out in sun, turn back to sun and tube at your tummy in the shade of your body

-Hold tube using your thump and forefinger at the top of the tube

-put CYA mixture to the first line (100) GLANCE in the tube and look away. IF you see the dot with the GLANCE pour to the next line.

-Pour to each line and GLANCE in until you do not see the dot with a GLANCE. If you stare you WILL see the dot so ONLY glance.

The reason I say go line to line is that we will have you round up to the next line. You and I will drive our self crazy filling and refilling until is just right...........let it GO! Just do line by line. Save your sanity! LOL

Do it this way and see how you feel about it then.

I knew you had special powers! :D

Kim, I will definitely try out your technique. With Needsajet giving me a tip to try using the diluted method, you with the glance method, and TFT with the 50ppm method, I will soon be the master! ROFL.... I guess I should probably heed your advice to "let it GO!" and just go swimming for a while.

All joking aside, I really, REALLY do appreciate all the advice and time you guys have spent with me. And to think you spent all this time and I did NOT even have a problem yet. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.