First Iowa Winter with hot tub - what do I need to know?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
This will be our first winter with our hot tub. We got it free, used and have put some new pumps on it. Our plan is to use it all winter, but want to make sure we have it ready for winter.

It is a 2002 SunDance Optima. It does not seem to have a constant water circulation. It does have cycles that I can set to run for however many hours. Does it need to be in constant circulation? Seems like that is what it will need in order to keep the pipes from freezing. When I set the cycles to circulate it seems like the water is almost on a jet cycle. It is not just the water circulating around like you see on the new models in the stores. We do believe the previous owner was a hack and had several things screwed up (search for my previous posts if you want to catch up). Through this forum and lots of searching we have learned a lot and have hopefully taken steps to correct what was previously done incorrectly.

I am concerned about heading in to winter and have it freeze up on us, but we do want to try and use it. I would love to know what all we need to do to prepare it for a harsh freezing winter.

Also, I would love to know how you manage to get in and out of it with out freezing to death when you are coming/going out of the house. It is about 10 feet outside the door and we are already freezing when it is 60* out. Can not imagine how bad it will be once the temps really drop. The hot tub is just outside on a slab. It is not in a 3 season porch or anything. Are we nuts or is it not possible to keep it going all winter with out it being enclosed some how.

THANKS for the help and input.

I don't have a hot tub but have read this write up and think you should do a purge of the lines before you do anything else to make sure it is clean and safe for your family to get in. Here is the write up:
Time for another purge product shootout It is best to do a purge even on a brand new spa due to the water being left in pipes from the testing.

You can always put towels in the dryer before you head out THEN put them in a cooler to keep them warm! That works like a treat for keeping warm!

Reactions: QuiltinMom
I don't have a hot tub but have read this write up and think you should do a purge of the lines before you do anything else to make sure it is clean and safe for your family to get in. Here is the write up:
Time for another purge product shootout It is best to do a purge even on a brand new spa due to the water being left in pipes from the testing.

You can always put towels in the dryer before you head out THEN put them in a cooler to keep them warm! That works like a treat for keeping warm!
Thank you. We did do a purge with AhhSome when we were setting it up, so we are confident that the spa is clean. I love the idea of the warm towels in a cooler to keep them warm. May have to try that. THANKS!!!

Reactions: kimkats
I live in the Front Range in Colorado and winter is my favorite time to use my hot tub! This distance from door to hot tub is around the same as yours. I have clogs for everyone to wear, and heavy plush bath robes. Have the hardiest person go out first and get the cover off so all everyone else has to do is jump in. Have a chair or something next to the hot tub for everyone to leave their robes on. Getting in can be a bit challenging when the temps are single digit, but getting out isn't too bad since you are nice and toasty by then. Enjoy!

I do not have my tub yet as it is getting delivered next Thursday, but I have bought a few things to prepare for our cold winters in Wisconsin. I bought us both robes and a coat rack to hang them on outside. I also bought a patio heater we plan on turning on when we are outside to keep our towels and robes warm for when we get out.

I do not have my tub yet as it is getting delivered next Thursday, but I have bought a few things to prepare for our cold winters in Wisconsin. I bought us both robes and a coat rack to hang them on outside. I also bought a patio heater we plan on turning on when we are outside to keep our towels and robes warm for when we get out.

I have wondered about something like that ... I looked into towel warmers but there really isn't anything like that that is rated for outdoor use. Post back here in Feb about how that is working for you! :)

Reactions: QuiltinMom
I live in the Front Range in Colorado and winter is my favorite time to use my hot tub! This distance from door to hot tub is around the same as yours. I have clogs for everyone to wear, and heavy plush bath robes. Have the hardiest person go out first and get the cover off so all everyone else has to do is jump in. Have a chair or something next to the hot tub for everyone to leave their robes on. Getting in can be a bit challenging when the temps are single digit, but getting out isn't too bad since you are nice and toasty by then. Enjoy!
Heavy bath robes and slip on shoes/crocks are on everyone's Christmas list. Any recommendation on where to purchase nice heavy, decent quality bath robes? We had our temperature set at 99* when it was a bit warmer out and we were cold getting out. We have now adjusted it to 102* and it does seem a bit easier to get out and get covered with a towel before freezing. Hope it works, because I think it will be fabulous to use in the winter. THANKS for your response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have watched CraigsList and FB Marketplace for a patio heater. Didn't know if it would make a difference or not. I would also like to find a gazebo with sides on it to block the majority of wind, but I don't want to block the view of the stars. We live out in the country and quite enjoy star gazing. THANKS for your response.

....I would also like to find a gazebo with sides on it to block the majority of wind, but I don't want to block the view of the stars.
Or the snow! Relaxing in a toasty, steaming hot tub amidst a gentle snowfall is truely one of life's little pleasures. Plastic wine glasses only.....

Reactions: QuiltinMom and Oly
I have watched CraigsList and FB Marketplace for a patio heater. Didn't know if it would make a difference or not. I would also like to find a gazebo with sides on it to block the majority of wind, but I don't want to block the view of the stars. We live out in the country and quite enjoy star gazing. THANKS for your response.
I bought a heater off of amazon for $130. Hope it works out. I did not get the square ones because I feel they will not heat the robes like I wanted it to. I have the tall skinny one with with the shield like thing on top hoping it aims the heat down. My tub can not get here fast enough. Today would have been fun to relax in as it snows.

We used to do the cooler idea to keep towels and robes warm. Even put in wheat bags to help. This year I built a little wardrobe on the deck. We now hang our towels/robes in it, turn on the electric heater inside the box and Voila! Less hassle than the cooler.

Bought 4 a year ago. Price is great and they are holding up well so far. Only use them for the tub. I got 2 blue and 2 white ... despite bleach when I was them the white are starting to get a bit of ring-around-the-collar. So I'd stay w/the blue or grey! FYI I"m a big guy, 6'2" and 240, the largest size fits me fine.

These are working well too.

Also I keep my temp at 104 year round. Feels great on these old bones! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.