New Smyrna Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R4
Let me just continue with that title line...This is my first experience with having algae in the pool (at least that I’m aware of). The last two days I noticed a few areas when I was cleaning that looked a little yellowish. I thought maybe it could be pollen settling in some areas or it could be early algae. This morning I wake up and make crystal clear water has a greenish yellow tint. Partially flowered because I didn’t put chlorine in yesterday and left the hose running hours past overflow. So I am going to do my initial test and make sure pH is ok then slam. I am including a picture5C39615D-0C2C-45C8-B8AE-21D6FFED4D80.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 4
Trying to fast track learn everything that goes with this procedure, so I am using the tools and resources but let me keep you posted as to where I am at. Read about SLAM and alga, I have added muriatic acid to bring my pH down to 7.2, I know I have to wait at least 15 minutes before adding chlorine (which is not next on my list). Because I left the water run the CYA is below registering so I guessed at 10. What I am a little stumped at is that when I add the cya granules they take quite a while to dissolve. Do I have to wait and let my algae grow or can I add cya wait an our then start slamming? I will also keep looking for this answer.

Start the CYA dissolving using the sock method. Assume it is in the water to determine your FC level. Move ahead with the SLAM process immediately.

Reactions: Maureen03
Phew...I feel so much better. Used Pool Math to calculate how much CYA to add, sock is in front of return, frequently squeezing, used the log results to manually change my cya level to what it should be after the cya is dissolved, added the slam amount of pool chlorine for that cya and will now continue to read for how often to check chlorine through today and tomorrow then figure something out on my work day to handle it.🙂

Reactions: Msch99 and mknauss
Ok- here is a learning experience: when you are slamming your pool and checking the chlorine, do not, I repeat Do Not use the amount of water for 0.2 ppm! I used most of my drops! Live and learn 🧐

Reactions: Msch99 and mknauss
During testing in SLAM process, after adding DPD scoops, swirl then counting drops R-0871 I sometomes get to a point where at about drop 28- 34 the sample will still have a very faint pinkish that does not change even when I keep adding drops. Seems like it only happens when the chlorine is high. I am not sure if I use the highest number that causes a change or if I should keep adding. Any info?
SLAM day 2-scrubbed all surfaces and cracks. I didn’t want to and didn’t think it was necessary but I try to do things right- at least the first time- glad I did. I was surprised at all the unseen ‘stuff’ that ended up in the water and some patches of faint algae still there!
I am not quite sure if I should ask the above first question here (since I am in the process of SLAM ing) or somewhere else.

The FAS-DPD is done until all color is gone. Be sure you have a white background. Are you using a Speedstir?

That is odd. I have never had that happen. The sample can turn cloudy, but it should be colorless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.