Georgia Build- Update Might Switch PBs

Jan 12, 2019
Adairsville GA
Hi everyone!

I am so thankful to have found this community and have a place to share while we are going through this process. We have been dreaming of our pool for years and the time has finally come! We are so excited! We started looking and interviewing PBs a couple years ago actually and chose the company we want to work with. This is largely due to the warranty they provide and the personal friends we have who have used them.

A little background- we live in North Georgia on about 2 acres. We do get a lot of water in our yard when it rains (has to be significant rainfall but that does happen occasionally in this climate) and we are concerned about that. This is something we plan to discuss at length and hopefully find some peace. This is probably our biggest concern with having a pool and of course getting everything we want in budget.

We would like to have an 18x34 ish gunite pool with a raised spa. We are a family of 3, but do want to have small gatherings occasionally. We want to be flexible and are willing to get creative if needed to be in budget (would love to be no more than $85k).

We sent him a rough sketch of what is in our heads, I will include that here. The only change we have decided on that isn't reflected here is centering the pool to the house rather than the deck.

What are the *must* talking points of the first design meeting? What things should we make known and ask for? What are the initial meeting important items to discuss and ask? Hoping for your expertise here!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7578.jpg
    IMG_7578.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
You figured out the size you want. You need to figure out the depth profile you want. Be clear with the PB if you are discussing water depth or depth from the bond beam or coping. PB are usually talking from the bond beam and customers think it si water depth. That can vary by 6"-9" and can lead to the pool being shallower then expected.

Here is more information then you need now but will help you through the process...

You figured out the size you want. You need to figure out the depth profile you want. Be clear with the PB if you are discussing water depth or depth from the bond beam or coping. PB are usually talking from the bond beam and customers think it si water depth. That can vary by 6"-9" and can lead to the pool being shallower then expected.

Here is more information then you need now but will help you through the process...

Very helpful! Thank you! I was reading through the posts and saw the depth issue come up a few times- writing that on my list to discuss! I am thinking 3.5-8/8.5 depth.

A good PB should also be able to address drainage, but be prepared to talk through current drainage issues including where the water is coming from, and where it should go. For mine they did deck and flower bed drains that tied into the pool overflow and existing gutters to move the water to the side of the house so it will eventually make its way to the street and storm sewer.

One thing I see on your design is if that spa is raised, you will have a blind spot in the pool from the patio and house. Maybe that is not a concern, but I at least wanted to mention it in case it was.

Reactions: bbarfield12
sump pit.. Most of the time they will only put one in for a vinyl pool.. if you have a high water table you may need one anyways... with one you can empty the water under the pool and keep it empty if you needed to empty the pool for any reason...

for price I would think about not having a spa.. in your area it is hit or miss if you will keep the pool open all year around... if you do keep it open there will be no problem heating the spa up.. if you close the pool you will not be able to use the spa in the winter when you want it... If you are going to close the pool I would recommend a stand alone spa/hot tub as they are cheaper and way easier to use in the winter... and they are WAY more comfortable and WAY more jets and options...

Salt Water Generator: they are super easy and work great..

It is your pool, get what you want not what the pool builder wants...

straight line plumbing... 1 line for each suction or return

2 port Jandy neverlube valves on every line for each suction or return, makes your life easier after the pool builder leaves...

2 skimmers in areas where the wind will blow... mine will be the north and south side of the pool as that is where the wind comes from..

A good PB should also be able to address drainage, but be prepared to talk through current drainage issues including where the water is coming from, and where it should go. For mine they did deck and flower bed drains that tied into the pool overflow and existing gutters to move the water to the side of the house so it will eventually make its way to the street and storm sewer.

One thing I see on your design is if that spa is raised, you will have a blind spot in the pool from the patio and house. Maybe that is not a concern, but I at least wanted to mention it in case it was.
Great points, I have added the drains ideas to discuss. We did have brief discussions with another PB that we could build the pool sort of raised and water would drain around and go where it needs to. We know the movement of the water and flow so will definitely try to get some more insight tomorrow on this.

sump pit.. Most of the time they will only put one in for a vinyl pool.. if you have a high water table you may need one anyways... with one you can empty the water under the pool and keep it empty if you needed to empty the pool for any reason...

for price I would think about not having a spa.. in your area it is hit or miss if you will keep the pool open all year around... if you do keep it open there will be no problem heating the spa up.. if you close the pool you will not be able to use the spa in the winter when you want it... If you are going to close the pool I would recommend a stand alone spa/hot tub as they are cheaper and way easier to use in the winter... and they are WAY more comfortable and WAY more jets and options...

Salt Water Generator: they are super easy and work great..

It is your pool, get what you want not what the pool builder wants...

straight line plumbing... 1 line for each suction or return

2 port Jandy neverlube valves on every line for each suction or return, makes your life easier after the pool builder leaves...

2 skimmers in areas where the wind will blow... mine will be the north and south side of the pool as that is where the wind comes from..
Great suggestions! Got them on the list!

We have had many discussions about taking the spa out and my family just can’t let it go. It would be one of those regret moments I fear. We do plan to keep the pool open year round and use the spa year round.
I am not set on the placement- as the blind spot does worry me. I don’t have little kids (11 year excellent swimmer), but for guests with littles thats a worry. I will likely have it moved to the left.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Update- We had our meeting last night and we viewed to options for our design. They are not quite perfect yet, so we have submitted ideas for changes and then we will be sent the designs when they are applied.

We discussed many things on drainage...sump pit below pool will be installed, we discussed draining options in the decking also (more information needed here).

We agreed on 2 skimmers and discussed briefly some other things (though pressing right now is getting the design nailed down). Automation is included in our project.

Right now we need to get creative with cutting costs on decking- it is a huge portion of the bill. So we are considering doing a wood deck underneath our existing porch instead of having the pavers installed there. We are trimming in other areas around the pool where we can. Hopefully the new designs will feature that and be a little more reasonable in price.

Waiting on new designs and once we are happy I will post those!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Yes, pool elevation is an underdiscussed, yet extremely important topic.

Regarding pool depth. 8 1/2' is deep if you are having no diving board, and 34' in length is on the shorter end for that depth also (but not too short). Mind you, I'm not trying to talk you out of a deep end. I love them. Just maybe adjusting your profile from 3 1/2 - 8 1/2 to something like 4 - 7 or 8'. Either 7 or 8 feet is good for diving from the side. If getting an elevated diving rock, then I'd go with 8. But no need for greater than 8 w/ no diving board. But feel free to share your use ideas as that's the most important to consider. On the shallow end, 3 1/2 is pretty shallow, 4' is often what people like to stand in from what we've seen/heard/experienced. Your child is already good and others will grow fast.

For decking, you mentioned needing to watch costs and not doing all pavers. If I was watching costs, and in your area, I'd do no pavers and do all salt-finish concrete. It is a great laid back, relatively inexpensive option. Here's a thread that has salt finish concrete if you haven't seen it. New geometric build - The Woodlands, TX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, pool elevation is an underdiscussed, yet extremely important topic.

Regarding pool depth. 8 1/2' is deep if you are having no diving board, and 34' in length is on the shorter end for that depth also (but not too short). Mind you, I'm not trying to talk you out of a deep end. I love them. Just maybe adjusting your profile from 3 1/2 - 8 1/2 to something like 4 - 7 or 8'. Either 7 or 8 feet is good for diving from the side. If getting an elevated diving rock, then I'd go with 8. But no need for greater than 8 w/ no diving board. But feel free to share your use ideas as that's the most important to consider. On the shallow end, 3 1/2 is pretty shallow, 4' is often what people like to stand in from what we've seen/heard/experienced. Your child is already good and others will grow fast.

For decking, you mentioned needing to watch costs and not doing all pavers. If I was watching costs, and in your area, I'd do no pavers and do all salt-finish concrete. It is a great laid back, relatively inexpensive option. Here's a thread that has salt finish concrete if you haven't seen it. New geometric build - The Woodlands, TX
Great tips here! Thank you! We did settle with 8ft and I am flexible still on length of the pool- we may increase it possibly. We don’t plan on having a diving board or rock even so hopefully that will be good. Will ponder more on the shallow end depth.
Concrete would save us a ton of money on decking! We are very hesitant to use it because of the water flow and have been told it would most certainly crack quickly and not look great. I am inserting a pic of the recent water we had move through the back yard. It has only happened 2-3 times in the 3.5 years we have been here, but clearly happens. Only happens with torrential down pours- maybe once a year.

Attachments

• B3B098DB-A87B-40E0-BCCE-15E12ADD4690.jpeg
    B3B098DB-A87B-40E0-BCCE-15E12ADD4690.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 20
Yes, concrete will crack. A well designed and installed slab will tend to crack where it is less obvious. But I wouldn’t write-off concrete for that reason. The water flow won’t matter regarding concrete. Why? Because you are going to totally alleviate the situation. You have pics (great) and if a PB/landscaper doesn’t design a proper installation to 100% avoid that, they will have severely failed you. I can’t overemphasize that.

Yes, concrete will crack. A well designed and installed slab will tend to crack where it is less obvious. But I wouldn’t write-off concrete for that reason. The water flow won’t matter regarding concrete. Why? Because you are going to totally alleviate the situation. You have pics (great) and if a PB/landscaper doesn’t design a proper installation to 100% avoid that, they will have severely failed you. I can’t overemphasize that.
Will do some more thinking and researching on this. In the beginning of our pool journey (2 years ago) that’s what we set out for! Stamped concrete decking. Thank you for your thoughts here!

We scrapped our original sketch after going over the initial designs and are moving towards something like this. We’ve submitted this idea and he is working on another option too. Hoping we hear back soon-but I know he is very busy, so we will be patient. And read up here on all things pools!

Attachments

• 26BB8F25-949A-4281-ADFC-51703A9504E3.jpeg
    26BB8F25-949A-4281-ADFC-51703A9504E3.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 19
Update-
After a couple weeks back and forth with the PB there were a couple red flags that have caused us to pause and reflect. Long story short, we told the PB our goals on our initial contact in March (18x36 in size or as close as possible, freeform, raised spa, tanning ledge). He presented a couple designs to us that we didn't love (to be fair one was ours in the beginning that we scraped). He kind of went MIA for nearly 2 weeks while waiting on revisions that we had suggested, which we understand is likely due to being very busy- but no texts back when we reached out for an update (a week later). We finally had another zoom last week with him where he presented 2 more designs, one of which we really liked. He typed up the proposal and contract, sent it over for us to discuss. We had some questions and communicated back and forth for a day or 2 (normal process I presume). Yesterday we asked to see the dimensions of the pool (in the proposal it only stated 18x35- very close to what we asked for), but we wanted to see how narrow some spots would be. He sent those visuals right after and we were not thrilled. The narrowest parts were 11.7 ft and even the widest parts down the length of the pool were 14.7, which had us concerned. The 18ft part was at the tanning ledge part only. So I then expressed that concern and asked about changes to get a little more width. He immediately called me and seemed pretty frustrated. He assured me that it would be fine since we are a small family and increasing the size would be too costly for our budget. Ok understandable- contract price out the door was $104k. Seemed very high for such a small pool (biggest width is 18ft, but most of the pool is 14ft/11ft across and length is 35.7). It was the comments that followed that made us hesitant-including- I don't get paid until dig day, I have about 20 hours in design time, he explained how many meetings we have had (2 zoom meetings this go around and 2 home visits in 2019), and just overall did not seem understanding of our concerns and was not really helping to find a solution. It's hard to express- but sounds a bit like a "jerk" for lack of better term. For context, he has rubbed us the wrong way previously in 2019, but we brushed it off and didn't think much of it. Now we are just taking a step back to think things through.

The same day- we had another PB recommended to us by our neighbor who just finished a build with him, and found out that also a friend has used this guy also with rave reviews. Gave him a call and he will be out early next week. Eager to hear what he has to say. We are so ready to have a contract and get started- but we need to love the design and not be treated like we are a bother when spending this kind of money. Maybe we can find that soon!

Seems very positive that you have developed/confirmed this feeling now versus later. That is the number one thing to look for in a PB. Someone you can openly communicate with and get good vibes from. Good luck with your new PB meeting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.