First cloudy water guidance

tpirovol

Jun 17, 2020
Toronto
Hey Everyone,
First bout of cloudy water. Below are my levels let me know what to do. My thoughts are to shock the pool.

The first and last time I shocked the pool was 3-4 weeks ago when the pool was started.

we have had 10 days no rain and the past two days it’s been 36. Kids in the pool 2x a day.
Fc - 2
Ph - 7.8
Alk - 120
CYA - 70
Salt - 3200

Just happened

Thanks T

What is your test kit? Do you have a FAS/DPD chlorine test?

Your FC too low for your CYA. Click link.Chlorine/cya chart

Perform an OCLT. Overnight chlorine loss test. To determine if you need to slam.

More than likely You will need to slam instead of shock. Slam

You will need a proper test kit to do most of the above. Either the TF100 or Taylor K2006C. Link to TF100 in my signature.
The experts can help you out once you let us know the type of test kit.

To be honest I used a test strip :( I have a Pentair test kit but it only does PH and Alk.

I have a TF100 on the way and should be here today or tomorrow. It took a long time to get here as I am in Canada.

I will get the water tested today and hopefully tomorrow I will know my true levels.

Thanks T

So I have both shock and shine and aqua shock. Since I have it can just use it? I really don’t want to head out into the wild :)

If I use shock n shine it will lower my ph and add cya. Or aqua shock it will only touch my FC.

If neither of those work will head out, it’s just crazy at Canadian tire lately huge lineups :(

Last edited:
So I have both shock and shine and aqua shock. Since I have it can just use it? I really don’t want to head out into the wild :)

If I use shock n shine it will lower my ph and add cya. Or aqua shock it will only touch my FC.

If neither of those work will head out, it’s just crazy at Canadian tire lately huge lineups :(
I have no clue what either of those products are. What does the label say? If ether is Calcium Hypochlorite, you could use it, as your CH is low enough to handle more.

K perfect it was Calcium hyperchlorite. I added 480g.

No more sun on the pool and diluted it in water. Have the SWG set to 50% should I crank it up as well??

If it clears up tomorrow should I add MA to get my Alk and PH down? And then add stabilizer to get my CYA up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
K perfect it was Calcium hyperchlorite. I added 480g.

No more sun on the pool and diluted it in water. Have the SWG set to 50% should I crank it up as well??

If it clears up tomorrow should I add MA to get my Alk and PH down? And then add stabilizer to get my CYA up?
Everything depends on test results. If you need to adjust pH, do it. Do not worry about TA. And do not raise CYA until you are convinced you won't have to SLAM, because it's a lot easier at lower CYA levels.

Ok going to bed soon should I turn up the SWG to 100% or even shock mode from 50% it’s at now. Test strips show over 10 for FC. my test kit is at the shipping office going to get it tomorrow.

Thanks T

Just follow your usual routine until you have a test kit. If it generates all night, leave it on. If you shut it off, shut it off. You're working blind. You might really be at 2 FC or you could be at 30 already. Yes, super high FC can bleach out those test strips and make them read none when there's lots.

Ok got my TF100 ;)

CL-way to hight to read
PH-8.2 checked it when the digital one as well
FC-15.5
CC-0
TA-150
CYA-50-55

I guess my TA and PH are way up MA time. Pool is much clearer but still cloudy.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2ADF3FAA-2547-4E5D-8004-492D070146D8.jpeg
    2ADF3FAA-2547-4E5D-8004-492D070146D8.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
The pH color match test is effected by your FC being above 10 ppm. So do not get too aggressive at lowering your pH. If you have calibrated your pH meter, use that data.

Once you get your pH in the 7's, start the SLAM Process.

I would use 7.8 as now and 7.4 as target. Add what is recommended (you need a TA input into Poolmath) and circulate pool for 30 minutes. Test pH again and repeat until your pH is in the low 7's.

Ok here are the results
FC-12
PH-7.2-7.4 (I think 7.2)
PH Meter-7.2
Water=Much clearer but not 100% maybe 80%

Can the kids go swimming soon??

Attachments

• 6F7ACD9C-7149-4A02-80F1-4AA35E5224F0.jpeg
    6F7ACD9C-7149-4A02-80F1-4AA35E5224F0.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 9
  • 77507BC8-7E83-4473-8E15-6A349D356BE5.jpeg
    77507BC8-7E83-4473-8E15-6A349D356BE5.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7
How did you get the FC number?

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.