Finishing trichlor tabs while starting with SWCG

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
Hi!

I'm starting this season with an SWCG. I used to have an inline chorinator that I used to bump my CYA, now that spot is taken by the SWCH cell. I have a good amount of pucks left that I want to use up to bring my CYA up. I have an option to drop them into the skimmer, but it seems like SWCG doesn't like anything going thru it in high concentration or buy a floater. I have a solar cover all the time, that covers about 80% of the pool. I can either have the floater bob around the open area or sit somewhere in the middle under the cover. Neither is too appealing to me.

What is my best option here?

For future, once the pucks are used up, I will to liquid CYA.

Save them. They're good forever when stored cool/dry.

They take too long raising CYA 1 in 26k gallons for each 8 oz puck. Well. Too long in this scenario at least. If using them exclusively, 2 or 3 months later you'd be out of control.

Never leave them in the skimmer. If the pump shuts off, concentrated acid water will eat the skimmer and/or plumbing. We've seen many melt both over the years.

They will come in handy when you need a small boost and have a week or two to wait it out, or for vacations.

Reactions: HermanTX
Using pucks to raise CYA is a slow process. It is NOT recommended to put pucks in a skimmer. Since your chlorinator is removed, then use a floater.
A preferred idea is to keep the pucks - they have a very very long shelf life. Just protect them from moisture.
Raise your CYA with granular stabilizer (cheaper than liquid) but either is good.
save the pucks when you go on vacation and use them to help control pH rise while away from home.

i use (or used to) them at the beginning of the season when i need to ramp up the CYA in conjunction with the bleach. it did take long, but it was ok - i would use less bleach and it would work on my CYA.

what's the idea behind saving them for vacation? bc swcg raises the PH and trichlor counters that? how often one would need to add the acid to lower it? i get that it's dependent on TA, but on average, what do people do? once a week or more?

i use (or used to) them at the beginning of the season when i need to ramp up the CYA in conjunction with the bleach. it did take long, but it was ok - i would use less bleach and it would work on my CYA.

what's the idea behind saving them for vacation? bc swcg raises the PH and trichlor counters that? how often one would need to add the acid to lower it? i get that it's dependent on TA, but on average, what do people do? once a week or more?
If I am away for a week or more, I put 2 pucks in a floater. My TA stays around 70 so the 2 pucks just help control any rise in pH if there is rain.
It is your choice to use them to raise CYA, I would not put in a skimmer is the main recommendation.