Fine dust in pool

May 26, 2018
Appleton, WI
Hi all,

This is my second year owning a pool. Late last year we had to replace our pump and sand filter. All brand new as of early September. We closed the pool within a month after that (we live in WI so totally closed it). We got a new vinyl liner installed at the beginning of this season. We didn't have any issues with start up this year... but recently (last few weeks or so), I noticed that when the pool wasn't used for a day or so, there looked to be sand on the bottom of the pool. It was all kind of gathered on the deep end (we have a 4 ft shallow to 8 ft deep end). I had my husband vacuum to waste to see if maybe he could get it and we could check if there was more sand again. Sure enough, it was back. I thought "Great! A broken lateral in a brand new filter!" (and we had filled the new filter right - filled it halfway with water before adding new sand so we wouldn't break the laterals).

Well, today I dived to the bottom of the pool to grab some to see if it was really sand from our filter.... but it was strange. It was like fine dust. Anytime I would quickly wave my hand past, the water would kick it up and it would dissipate in to the pool water.

2 thoughts on what it could be... I really don't know, so please share your insight!

1) Does new sand have a fine dust to them that kinda filters out eventually? I don't remember where I got the pool sand last year, so unsure the brand. I know it was pool filter sand though.
2) We just got a Hayward off-line chlorinator this year. I am having a hard time figuring it out, plus my CYA is about 60, so I'll be switching to bleach for the majority of my chlorine needs (other than vacations). I'm wondering if it's dust from the pucks?? This doesn't make sense to me since that should all dissolve in the water.. right?
3) My husband has power washed around the concrete pool deck.. its been a while, and he doesn't blow the water in to the pool on purpose, but he had the thought that maybe it was concrete patio dust??

Thoughts? How would I figure out what this is?

I think when my husband vacuumed, he may gotten some, but judging from what I experienced, it was likely just pushed around and dissipated until it settled back on the bottom again. We do use a pool robot, I think it does collect some of the "dust" since the filters feel pretty grimy when we hose them down. But again, it probably dissipates the dust more often then not too. Any thoughts on how to clean the pool out once we figure this out?

I just got done with a SLAM, so all my levels are in top shape right now.

I enjoy reading all your insight on this site!

Thanks!
Andrea

Andrea, I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. I think you can rule-out sand since it's not gritty and seems to dissipate into cloud plumes very easily. If it's not residual dust from the concrete, it could be dead algae from the SLAM. I'd give it a couple more days to see if the filter/robot gets it. If not, you could always try adding a little DE to your sand as noted on the Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool page. That might just do the trick.

Oh, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.