Eadam23

Dec 5, 2021
Houston, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So it looks like my pump is a Hayward TriStar SPX3210X15Z2PE and my power end is a SPX3215Z2BER. I am assuming this mismatch because the motor was replaced around 2018 indicated by the serial #. As the pump I think is original to the pool from 2010, again just going off the manufacture date.

What dictates the HP in this case the pump or the power end? I have read all the articles and I am stumped trying to find my flow rate.

Thanks

The pump HP is determined by the motor HP and the impeller installed.

What are you trying to do?

Post pics of the labels on the pump and motor data plate.

SPX3215Z2BER is the motor, which is 2.4 hp.

SPX3210X15Z2PE is the power end, which came as a total of 1.65 HP.

So, it looks like the power end was replaced and then the motor was later replaced.

It depends on the impeller.

If you have the SPX3210C impeller, you need 1.65 total hp.

If you have the SPX3215C impeller, you need 2.4 total hp.

I would just get a new 2.7 hp TriStar VS pump.

1639085475567.png

Reactions: 1poolman1
It is the impeller that determines the horsepower of the pump. A pump with a 1hp impeller and a 2hp motor is still a 1hp pump as the single-speed motors all turn the same rpm (3450). Likely someone had a larger motor on hand when they installed that 2-speed motor. As JamesW said, your best option is to get a new Hayward TriStar 2.7 hp VSP. Put a 1hp impeller on a 3/4hp motor and it will burn the motor very quickly.

By DOE requirements, 2-speed pumps and motors are no longer legal to manufacture or install (with some exceptions) for pool purposes. The law went into effect 7/19/2021

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.