Gold Supporter
May 16, 2018
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wife and I are going to tackle this in the Spring. Existing ~30 year old wooden deck is going to be replaced with pavers.

We decided on Cambridge Pavers 3 pc design in Toffee/Onyx Lite with a lighter coping. At the moment the deck is a basic single level 5-8 ft border around the rectangular pool with a wooden fence around it. My visions are this: (feedback welcome please, we need help)

2-3 step up to a "Tanning deck" along the shallow end near the stairs to enter the pool.
- currently there is nowhere near enough room to comfortably have any chairs based on where the sun passes
- this deck would extend what is already there (would have to dig this out) and run the width of the pool area ~ 30 feet and be 8-10 ft deep
- this would be done at the far end of the picture next to the pergolaIMG_7678.JPG
Removing Existing fencing and instead fencing in our entire backyard permissible by local codes.
Replacing railroad tie retaining wall with stone retaining wall with seating built into it (see sample pics)
Or making the area with cheap white lattice into a fireplace/chimney

We definitely want to add more lighting so I imagine a low voltage system of sorts with recessed in-deck lighting and uplighting around the walls.
However the side of the pool along the woods (not entirely in the pic) is very bland. Id like to add some sore of landscaping or even a small 24-36 inch wall with either pillars or landscape bed inside of it. This would also allow for some uplighting to be seen from the upper deck at night time.

We need to update the landscaping along the slope too, I'm just terrible at that. We recently updated our upper deck to Trex and love it. Needs some finishing touches but this new pool deck will be a dream.

Currently those are my only thoughts. I apologize if the vision is not clear. I'm very excited about this and would love some advice or suggestions. Pictures also please, even though Ive got a folder full of hundreds of pictures we have favorited.

Good news is the ground is already settled for 30 years and I've looked under some areas and we have plenty of space to start the project. All we need is 8 3/4 inches for item 4, sand and then blocks. I don't believe we even have to excavate.

Fingers crossed an old/retired pool builder acquaintance said he will help us to keep costs down. IMG_7683.JPGrectangle-pool-with-sheer-descent-water-feature-pioneer-family-pools-img~3a11004103bd73b0_4-97...jpgThis tanning ledge/deck is exactly what Id envision at the backside of our shallow end but not along the side.
PP1242lg.jpgThis bench style seating would double as our retaining wall possibly and save some room. Fire pit would be a nice touch also.

I really like all of your ideas! That one area with the landscape cloth shows where you have tried to tame it. I suggest putting Mondo grass there. I LOVE the black version of it: Black Mondo Grass VERY easy to care for and almost unkillable!

The sun deck-are you talking about where the ceder trees are?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.