Finalizing plans for 20x40 Poly wall vinyl lined pool.

Rosenhauer

Apr 27, 2022
Southern Illinois
I'm planning on DIY install with a few subcontractors.

General Info:
20x40 with 2' Corner Radius
Sports bottom 3.5' at ends 6' in middle.
I plan on 2" Rigid PVC for all lines and dedicated lines to everything (except 2 stair returns joined and main drains joined as shown) and all having valves at pad.
Cartridge Filter
Variable Speed Pump
Salt Chlorine Generator
Possible Rooftop Solar (Will plumb with bypass in case we add it later)
Equipment will be housed in Pool Shack (Outdoor Kitchen and bathroom)

1651244906346.png
Question: Return and Skimmer placement?

1651242593655.png

Initial proposed design For suction (Brown) and returns (Green) from the diagram in the install booklet. The direction lines for returns are just thrown in and part of what I need advice on.

Are the 5 return locations well placed? If they are what would be the direction of the jets? Is one circular flow still the best option or would a north circle and a south circle at the surface be better with the right side jet aimed straight across as it appears this configuration would produce?

Or would this be a better option?

1651243269363.png

Is it best to have both skimmers on the one side (away from the prevailing winds) and how far should they be placed from the ends of the pool? 1/4 centered in each half of the pool or 1/3 evenly spaced over the length of the pool?

I would do skimmers on opposite ends (like you show) and opposite sides of pool. Wind direction changes in my area and unless you are in an area that has wind coming from the same direction a large majority of the time it best to have it as I mentioned (like a costal area that has sea to land winds 85% of the time). I wouldn't overthink the wind. Not sure what the diagrams mean though. Good luck!

Something to think about- lately a LOT of folks go without main drains. As long as you have two skimmers you just use a sump pump to lower water level if needed to drop further than the skimmer/pump would allow.

For a vinyl lined pool having fewer cuts in the liner is always a good idea.

Maddie 🇺🇦

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.