Final Stages Home Therapy Pool - Hoses & Water "?"

Wndy

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2021
NY - Lower Hudson Valley
Pool Size
I have not had a chance to introduce myself since becoming a member. Hi! My name is Wendy.

TFP has been so helpful. So far I have done pretty well finding answers and avoiding the common newbie errors. My project is a great example of pivoting from finding the best options to making the most of available options. (supply chain issues are no joke).

We are in the final stages of setting up a 7'x10'x 4.5'D Fitmax ipool 3. All equipment and specs are in my signature.

All going well, the electrician will be here in six days to run power and hard wire the heater. The electrician requires the pool to be fully set-up with water and filter prior to his work starting. Worst case scenario is rescheduling the electrician; which could delay home therapy another month.

I currently have functional limitations and my husband is recovering from Lyme. We are not the most dynamic of duos at the moment. Any assistance with the following items is greatly appreciated. Even a link to a specific thread is most helpful. I know I am not the first person to ask the following questions, but I am not finding specific answers in my searches. It could be my mental fatigue.

Items to figure out in the short-term:

1. Longer pool hoses - The pool came with two grey flex Hayward 6' hoses, 1.5 NTP, with shut off valves at the pool side connection. We need 14' and 16' long hoses to connect the equipment to the pool. We plan to use pvc lines in the near future, once the equipment is wired and in its final location. At the moment we just need to get everything connected and functional as quickly as possible.
- What type/brand of hose, fittings, and clamps are best in this situation?
- Any brands or types to avoid?

2. Pool water delivery - then what? - I have the TF-100 test kit, smart stirrer, and a thermometer. The pool holds 2,200 gallons. After the heater is wired and connected the water will be heated to low 90's F when in use. The pool, hoses, and equipment will be well insulated prior to winter and it is all inside a shelterlogic tent which will help with UV affects.
- What do I need to do and what chemicals do I need to have on hand when the new pool water is delivered?
- Any special considerations with the higher water temps and pool chemistry going forward?

Thank you so much. I am so glad I found TFP.

Welcome to TFP :)

1. I would use PVC to connect the pool up.. You could use flex but it would be more expensive and since you are moving it you can just cut and reconnect the PVC.. How are you going to keep the pipes from freezing?

2. Run it like a normal pool, some have temps over 90 degrees and like it at that temp..

Is this pool going to be up all year inside a heated tent? What kind of heater are you using for the water and the tent?

How do you intend to chlorinate and sanitize your pool?

Welcome to TFP :)

1. I would use PVC to connect the pool up.. You could use flex but it would be more expensive and since you are moving it you can just cut and reconnect the PVC.. How are you going to keep the pipes from freezing?

2. Run it like a normal pool, some have temps over 90 degrees and like it at that temp..

Is this pool going to be up all year inside a heated tent? What kind of heater are you using for the water and the tent?
Hi cowboycasey, Thank you for replying. I have gathered a lot of helpful info from your posts. I am still learning the nuances of TFP posting, I thought my signature with my equipment list was included with my post.

Signature Info: Outdoor (all-season) home therapy pool for physical rehab. Working with what I can procure to make it all functional. All set on a gravel pad, inside a ShelterLogic enclosure, lots of insulation, 2 sets of Confer stairs, and I have the TF-100 XL test kit. FitMax iPool3, 7'W x 10'L x 4.5'D, 2200 gallons.
Hayward Equipment: PowerFlo LX pump 1000gph, Micro StarClear filter, C-SPA-Xi11 Heater.

1. Yes, we will eventually use PVC, but we are juggling limited physical/mental capacity and dwindling days to have everything ready for the electrician. Last night I opted for an assortment of flex hoses and connectors. Choosing between: Optimal, Fast, or Cheap, we had to choose Fast. I can return what we do not need and keep some extra on hand for the inevitable flex hose failures.

2. I am trying to figure out what I need to have on hand (other than the TF-100 test kit and liquid bleach) before the water is delivered in a couple days. I will continue my search for that info. I have never owned a pool or been involved in the daily maintenance of a pool.

TFP is such a wonderful resource as I lose my pool ignorance. The best info I have seen on TFP so far was, "A pool is like a pet, you have to take care of it everyday; even when you don't feel like playing with it." I do not know who posted this but it is a wonderful perspective for a new pool owner.

As for the pool equipment, we are starting with what was included with the pool. I am aware the paper filters are terrible, I will upgrade to the fiber filters in the interim. We are making the most of what we have until we have time to research and make appropriate upgrades. Ideally, we would have installed a soak spa or plunge pool. With all the supply chain issues I am very happy to have the fitmax option.

To answer your winter use questions: My hope/intention is to use the pool all year or at least most of the year. I have 2" rigid foam insulation under the pool, 1" faced foam under the deck tiles, the equipment box will be insulated, the hoses/pipes will be insulated, I have rigid faced foam board to enclose the sides and top of the pool. We will upgrade the lightweight tent cover and screens to a heavy duty winter covering and insulate the tent. Pending additional research into my winterizing efforts this is what I have so far.

None of this is ideal, my goals are "safe" and "functional" while working with materials I can procure. I looked into enclosed gazebos, sheds, and metal building options, but supply chain issues are no joke. Also, it is hard to justify $#,000+ for a metal building when our long term goal is to install a permanent small pool in an all season patio. I hope my amalgamated set-up last until (1) I no longer need aquatic therapy or (2) supply chain issues correct and material / labor costs level out.

Thank you again.

Hi ajw22, Thank you for replying to my post. I am still trying to figure out what I need other than the TF-100 test kit and liquid bleach. Specially, what do I need to have on hand when the new pool water is delivered in a few days?

What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

You need 30 ppm of CYA That is 9 ounces of dry stabilizer.

8 oz of 10% liquid chlorine will add 3 ppm of FC to the water.

Have a gallon of muritatic acid on hand.

With a small pool you don't need a lot of chemicals.

Setup a way and place to drain your pool. With 2,200 gallons it can be easier draining and refilling with fresh water if you have water chemistry problems. What is the source of fill water for the pool?

What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

You need 30 ppm of CYA That is 9 ounces of dry stabilizer.

8 oz of 10% liquid chlorine will add 3 ppm of FC to the water.

Have a gallon of muritatic acid on hand.

With a small pool you don't need a lot of chemicals.

Setup a way and place to drain your pool. With 2,200 gallons it can be easier draining and refilling with fresh water if you have water chemistry problems. What is the source of fill water for the pool?
Water is being delivered by local pool water delivery company. Thank you for the run down on levels, I will look all those up and I will get some muritatic acid before the water truck shows up. I would think pool water delivery in NY is a seasonal option and I want to avoid draining and refilling with our well water if at all possible.

Thank you very much!

Don't lose control of your water chemistry and don't ever use any pool store potions in the water and you should be okay.

Reactions: Geminisq
Don't lose control of your water chemistry and don't ever use any pool store potions in the water and you should be okay.
Thank you so much!

I just found and am now comprehending the info on new pool water chemistry in the articles. I knew the info was in here, I was just missing it. Your response with the chemical rundown brought the relevant links up for me.

Looking forward to the day I can help new members find readily available information in their time of panic.

Reactions: Wndy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.