Final payment release

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
How many have had their builder/contractors to sign a final payment release form?

After seeing the post a while back about the builder coming up months later and saying they overlooked some additional cost, it makes me think I should have the builder sign a form when the final payment is made that it is paid in full and that all contractors have been paid.

I wouldn't have ever thought of it before said post. I will certainly be getting one from my PB now. (y)

You should always get all signed lien-releases from every subcontractor used so that no one can come back a put a mechanics lien on your home by saying the PB stiffed them out of the money. You can also ask the PB for a paid in full invoice with release. Just make sure you follow all applicable laws in your state.

I didn't get any of this. I didn't even get a final call from my PB telling me "congratulations". Never got a visit for a final inspection. In fact, after the initial dig day I never saw the PB again just subcontractors coming to do their part. No PB inspection between jobs either. Some PBs are more involved than others.

I didn't get any of this. I didn't even get a final call from my PB telling me "congratulations". Never got a visit for a final inspection. In fact, after the initial dig day I never saw the PB again just subcontractors coming to do their part. No PB inspection between jobs either. Some PBs are more involved than others.
Well maybe you actually didn't get your final visit yet who knows ;)

Well maybe you actually didn't get your final visit yet who knows ;)
I had an AC unit replaced last year that required a plumbing and electrical permit and inspections. When it was in I called for the electrical inspection. As we are talking the town electrical inspector asks do you know you have an open permit on your pool electrical?

I said the pool was built in 2000 by the prior owner and I was not told of an open permit when it was checked when I bought the house in 2004. He said the girl in the town office used to miss things and he does his own search for open permits before he goes out to a house.

He asked if I wanted him to look at it? I said sure but the panel meets 2000 code not current code. No problem he said.

He looked at the Aqualink breaker panel and commented about a tree within 3 feet of it. I said the tree was not there in 2000. He said ok. And he closed the pool electrical permit from 2000.

You don’t know when things are really done and closed.

“Oh right … that 60ft tall old growth oak tree with ‘Allen ❤️‘s Sally 1971” carved into the trunk and the old tree house boards still nailed to it … that tree wasn’t there 3 years ago … wink wink 😉

“Oh right … that 60ft tall old growth oak tree with ‘Allen ❤️‘s Sally 1971” carved into the trunk and the old tree house boards still nailed to it … that tree wasn’t there 3 years ago … wink wink 😉
Didn’t I mention he measured the tree trunk and counted the rings???

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
The one good thing about my build taking forever is all the subs are past the point that they can send me a "Notice to Owner" that they did work on my property so no subs would be able to put a lien on my property. (The NTO might just be a Florida thing) but I may ask for something like you suggest anyway, why not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I'm with you on that. It's been almost 9 months since the early stages for me.

I have no releases from any contractors or even know who they are with the exception of the concrete contractor who I paid directly. Everything else is paid to the builder.
I got business cards from some of the subs and others I wrote down the names on their vehicles or I just asked the company name and made a note of it. If I saw who delivered supplies, I wrote that name down too. So I don't have releases but at least I know who was here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.