Filter top burst out of clamp

Get a jump start on the mixing process by poring small amounts of chlorine in multiple places around the pool, the more the better, instead of dumping it all in one spot.

I have the same filter on my 15 yr. old pool. @Dirk The "corrosion" (at least on mine) is the outer paint chipping off the clamp ring over the years. Might be the same on @Coach67's.

No torque setting, but the label tells you the tightening tolerances. Don't over tighten OR leave too much space between the halves.
65755F10-772D-4A21-871A-A956E7B3C4ED.jpeg1E34E958-C24A-4373-814E-2912261D776C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Going to have to figure out something to keep water moving - maybe a bunch of kids in the pool?
Thanks for all of the discussion about this issue for me, much appreciated.
Coach

Go to the Home Despot and get a submersible pump. Get the cheapest one they have. Or ACE hardware. Or TSC. Connect it to a GFCI outlet!!!! Connect a garden hose to the outlet. Drop it in the deep-end and run the hose to the shallow end. Better than nothing!

And don't run it with people in the pool.

If you ever have a mind to drain your pool, you might invest in one of the higher HP models. My 1/3 HP will do nearly 3000 GPH if I use a pool hose with a connector.

Just got word the Pentair is out of stock so the Waterway 525 is the one being put in.
Anyone have this one or know anything about it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shoot. Bummer. No, don't know Waterway, sorry. I like my Pentair. Nothing to compare it to, but it's been trouble free and still looks newish after 9 years. After looking at your pics, I certainly wouldn't want anything other than a stainless steel band holding my filter together (which is what Pentair uses). What's on the Waterway? I couldn't find what their band is made of ("metal" was all I could get from Google). You could try pushing back on the warranty company and whoever they sent out to do the install. Maybe insist on Pentair? These guys don't make much money on these warranty calls, and need to get on and off the job asap to stay even slightly profitable. How hard did he look for the Pentair? How long would it take to get one? I know from experience these guys will swap in cheaper parts if they think they can get away with it. Can you wait? Maybe the Waterway is fine. Hopefully someone here will know...

Last edited:
Less expensive, or less quality, or both?

Unfortunately both, they are built to a cost point not a lasting point.. They make cheaper stuff and cut corners.. But, some of there stuff is alright and as long as you know it is lower quality and may need to be taken care of more often maybe it will be alright.. It is not Pentair nor Hayward and Jandy...

I had one of there 100 Sq FT cart filters on my hot tub and it worked perfect filtering 650 gallons using a 1/8 HP pump, it was made for a 10,000 gallon pool, no way would I think about putting it on a pool that size, maybe 4 of them piped together :)

Unfortunately both, they are built to a cost point not a lasting point.. They make cheaper stuff and cut corners..
That's what I was afraid of. Like what appears to be some sort of painted metal band instead of a stainless steel one.

Some of the contractors servicing home warranties will cut corners like this, to up their profits. They're supposed to replace things with same- or like-kind, but often don't. Or depending on the terms of the warranty, your coverage might include only replacements with "contractor grade" stuff, which means just about anything, and that the warranty co is not obligated to replace with like-kind. It's one of the reasons I now only maintain warranties on my rentals that are too far away. For the one I have near my house I cancelled the warranty and do the work myself, because I got tired of the poor workmanship and replacement quality. Home warranties are of questionable value.

Point was... it's worth a call to the warranty company to see if you have any grounds for insisting on like-kind instead of having to accept a lesser quality filter just because the contractor wants to use a bargain brand. That's assuming your old filter's cost/quality was in line with Pentair's, and not WaterWay's, which I supposed you'd need to be able to demonstrate somehow.

Well filter just got installed but now seems to think pump seal is bad and of course all places closed til Monday
Won't stay flowing after priming for long

Well I finally got the pump to prime and it will stay flowing pretty well but only on high
When I put it on low the pressure drops and flow is too little to keep up
Also noted that the flow from skimmer only is low and bottom only as well
When I have the valve in the middle it flows best
Could it be that the Jandy valve is sucking air as well?
I bleed the filter every so often and it builds back up to almost full in the pump basket but after awhile I have to do again

I wanted to add that there has been some debris in basket but nothing out of the ordinary
I also ran a snake as far as I could from skimmer towards pump as well as using one of the bladder blasters to see of there was a blockage

Also side note
The flow from this filter is ten times better than the old jandy
Even with some limited flow the infloor heads are doing a great job of moving water and I can see multiple whirlpools on the surface along with some great disruption of the surface water

Take the handle off the Jandy valve and wrap it in plastic wrap.
Are you getting air out of the returns?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.