Filter top burst out of clamp

i had the warranty people come out and he said the clamp failed and also had hairline cracks in top- the threads were stripped where the pressure got to it - guess he knows?! The inside manifold was also damaged - likely over time and not this one issue. He is going to put in for a whole new filter so we shall see what happens. Going to have to figure out something to keep water moving - maybe a bunch of kids in the pool?
Thanks for all of the discussion about this issue for me, much appreciated.
Coach

I have this exact filter (Cl580 which is just a little taller) which is 17 years old. The clamping ring on mine still looks like new. Yours is obviously beyond end of life. As to the internal manifold, these were a weak point and failed on a regular basis. After the 2nd failure, I reinforced mine with fiberglass cloth and resin. They eventually redesigned the part to correct the issue so have the installer ensure the filter has the updated part (being new that’s almost a given). The good news is you will now have clearer water too as the internal leak bypasses filtering the water. Here’s what the old design manifold looks like showing the common failure location.5E062C69-E402-4DE7-A400-C4A7B6057292.jpeg

Last edited:
I can see multiple whirlpools on the surface along with some great disruption of the surface water
We actually recommend just that kind of surface movement to raise pH when needed. Keep an eye on your pH. If you see it rise more than you are used to, that might be why. You may have to adjust the returns to point a little more downward to ease up on the surface.

UPDATE: So now that all known issues are taken care of (had to replace the o rings in the Jandy valve before the pump pot) we have the new filter working again! It moves water like I've never had before in this pool; the in-floor jets clean properly and thank goodness I didn't get an algae bloom (not sure what was working on my side but won't complain ;)). I appreciate all comments and sure I will have many questions now that I retired from teaching after 30 yrs and the kids are starting pre-k next week :love:! Plan to do the pool myself now that I have the time. (If you are wondering we foster kiddos and did adopt a couple late in the "parenting" game :sleep::oops::LOL: ).
I hope to glean much needed info from this site and will probably become a "regular" once the dust settles from the start of school.
Thanks again!
and I will update my signature line soon

Oh, gotcha. Just be aware that bubbles and splashing and surface movement can raise pH. Is your pump variable speed? If you get pH rise, you could dial down the pump, and then ramp it up for just enough time and RPM for cleaning. That might help. Cross that bridge if you get to it. Glad to hear you got everything straightened out, and that you plan on sticking with TFP. You'll be glad you did!

Reactions: Coach67
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.