Filter too small - low flow on heater??

My heater (hayward H series - GAS) will log a low flow error on anything under 92% pump run speed.

This seems very high to me, was hoping to have the heater kit on at more like 60%.

Is my filter too small and limiting flow to the heater? I can deal with it, if this is the situation, just wish I didn't need to have the pump nearly maxed out to heat my pool.

Could I have another issue?

Yes, you could, as in something clogging the filter. Meaning it could just be doing the job it should. What is your clean and dirty pressure on the filter, and what is it now? What's going on in the pool chemical wise, and how does the water look?

The equipment is less than a year old. Not sure that I've seen a dirty pressure. The pool is so new, haven't had many issues. Opening it this year it was crystal clear and still is fairly clear, needs a vacuum. Max PSI I've seen is 25ish with the pump maxed out. On a low setting, the pressure doesn't even register on the gauge. sight glass is clear.

Closed the pool clear, opened it clear, have only added liquid chlorine to maintain my target FC for the last 5 weeks. Pool looks good.

Could the sand in the filter be all clumped up (does that even happen???)

The 2200T should be plenty large enough for your pool, I'm putting in a 2100 this weekend and our pools are about the same size. Have you tried setting the filter to recirculate and seeing how low you can get your pump and still keep the heater on?

Yes, sand can clump, especially if you let the pool store talk you into adding any miracle snake oils. If you have kids that like to really slather on the sunscreen immediately before jumping in, that can do it, too.

Try a deep cleaning. Worst case is you discover the installer skimped on unions and you have to do some plumbing to get the tank open. You'll have to do it anyway. And if he did a good job, then it's just some dirty water and some wet clothes. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

The 2200T should be plenty large enough for your pool, I'm putting in a 2100 this weekend and our pools are about the same size. Have you tried setting the filter to recirculate and seeing how low you can get your pump and still keep the heater on?

I'll give this a try....If it runs at a lower rpm on recirculate, does that mean I have a filter issue?

Yes, sand can clump, especially if you let the pool store talk you into adding any miracle snake oils. If you have kids that like to really slather on the sunscreen immediately before jumping in, that can do it, too.

Try a deep cleaning. Worst case is you discover the installer skimped on unions and you have to do some plumbing to get the tank open. You'll have to do it anyway. And if he did a good job, then it's just some dirty water and some wet clothes. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I haven't added anything to the filter (I know better than that, just from being here this short while), we did have a freezing cold winter here in Canada...I just turned it all on in the spring and didn't think twice. I guess if the heater works at a lower RPM on recirculate, then for sure I should be doing a deep clean.

Would you say that is #1 and #2 steps for trouble shooting?

Yes. Recirculate takes the filter out of it. If the heater works better without the filter, the filter has a problem. I hope you drained the filter over the winter, because it can freeze and crush the standpipe and laterals inside. That would sure restrict flow.

Yes. Recirculate takes the filter out of it. If the heater works better without the filter, the filter has a problem. I hope you drained the filter over the winter, because it can freeze and crush the standpipe and laterals inside. That would sure restrict flow.

yes, I drained it. If it is the filter, I was just hoping that all the sand froze in a clump over the winter and has stayed clumped together since then.

I'll try the recirculation and report back!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.