Filter time, post shock basics...

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Ok, basic filter questions, post shock. For years I, mistakenly, was using flocculent to help in the clearing of the pool water. My pool sits on a direct, heavy tree line and i am forever clearing debris, pollen, etc. So this month i replaced the filter sand that was fouled by the floc, at the suggestion of TFPers, and am trying to reform my ways. However, on a green pool and after a complete shock, I am now on my fifth day of filtering and am making very little head way. I realize this is probably a basic question, but I'm not sure it should take a couple of weeks to filter out green and get to a clear pool. Thoughts?

Now that you are "floc-free" and performing a SLAM Process to rid the pool or any green and algae, just continue with that SLAM Process page. Follow it carefully and be sure to maintain the proper "elevated" SLAM FC level (based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. The SLAM Process works if you follow that page carefully until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Also be sure to update your signature as it helps with future questions and scenarios. See mine as an example. Hope that helps.

Thanks, one last question. I got the FC level up to the appropriate level (12), initially. I did not maintain 12, currently 5+. I obviously didn't maintain 12 for the whole time, why does it need to stay so high for that long? If I'm holding steady at 5+, what is not happening by not being at 12?

Thanks, one last question. I got the FC level up to the appropriate level (12), initially. I did not maintain 12, currently 5+. I obviously didn't maintain 12 for the whole time, why does it need to stay so high for that long? If I'm holding steady at 5+, what is not happening by not being at 12?
The algae is "consuming" the chlorine. SLAM will take less time if you can check FC levels every 2 hours. The more you can check, the faster the SLAM will go! Kinda like riding a bike to Chicago. The faster you pedal, the sooner you get there.

Last edited:
It would help clear the water faster to put a "handful" of DE or cellulose fiber into the skimmer with the pump running. Just a handful. In this case more is not better. The fiber is the best. It will just backwash out the next time you clean the filter.

Algae is alive, it is reproducing and multiplying. You need to kill it faster than it can reproduce. Much faster if you want it to clear up quickly.

The sustained, higher levels of chlorine have been demonstrated to do that successfully.

Reactions: MITBeta
And I will add that sand filters tend to be the slowest type of media at filtering and clearing so it's going to require pool-owner-patience! Keep your pump running 24/7, brush daily, get into all hiding spots for algae (light niches and ladder), and backwash when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.