Filter tank pressure reading

May 28, 2018
Dalton, MA
Had to replace my pool filter tank this year. My old one cracked open about an hour after the pump was started up for the first time this season.
The new tank is a Hayward Perflex EC65A. I have a 1.5 HP Hayward superpump running. Last year with the old tank my pressure ran between 10-12psi. Since it was replaced it is running between 7-10. The return doesn’t seem low or anything. Not seeing air in the basket. No bubbles in the return either. Pool is crystal clear. I had read somewhere that the pressure should always be around 10. Just want to make sure I don’t have a problem on my hands.

No, there is no hard and fast rule on how much the pressure should be. Sounds like your new filter is in great shape and serving you well. A larger pool filter will have lower pressure, for example.
Remember to backwash only when the pressure rises 25%. A slightly dirty filter cleans better. Yup. It does.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mgeoghan
Less resistance equals lower pressure. That can be bigger pipes, fewer turns, bigger filter, cleaner grids.
Or your old gauge could have been wrong.
I wouldn't worry.
Study the manual that came with that filter. You get to bump it to clean it and it doesn't backwash normally when bumping no longer works.

Reactions: mgeoghan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.