5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can I use a Hayward Pro Grid de4820 on an above ground pool? I am not familiar with the grids and this filter is often described as an inground pool filter. I have a 27’ agp, 1hp single speed pump, currently using OLD Hayward ec60 which isn’t quite doing it’s job this summer. I’m not sure it’s worth starting to replace parts. (My best guess Is this filter is 20+ y/o) I can get the 10 year old 4820 for no more than $200.
Input appreciated!

It actually does, which I like. I had used sand filters with our smaller pools and likeD the ease of a multiport. Since we got the larger pool Ive been using handmedown de. Like the de but alot of floaters this season and more vacuuming. 😕
Is there a reason this de filter requires a mpv?

Duh. The old perflex has no valve. It has a bump handle. Just open drain port if backwash is necessary.
is there anything i should know bout these vertical filter? After all these years I have bever had to replace any fingers on the perflex. Is there more maintenance with the grids? **

5$,

You need to backwash when the pressure goes up by 25 to 30% over your clean pressure.. When you backwash, you add 80% of the DE that you would when new.. Once a year you need to open the filter and clean the grids.. Since you are in PA, you can do that when you close for the winter..

The grids just hold the DE.. When you backwash, most of it just falls off, but some does stay and that is why you need to open it once a year.

If you are changing filters because of some water quality issue, I doubt that will work.. Water quality is a chemical issue not a filter issue.

Thanks,

Jim R

Thanks Jim. I’m familiar with the process. I was just curious about longevity, replacement cost, etc of grid vs fingers. It’s not a water quality issue per se. Water balance has been a cinch this season. There have just been a lot of what I call floaters - particles and little bugs that aren’t getting filtered out. I’ve had to net and vacuum way more than in the past.
My initial concern was that the pump wasn’t appropriate for an above ground pool.
Thanks for your responses.
Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.