Filter selection

Jun 29, 2017
Newnan,ga
I am currently replacing an old Hayward aqualogic control center. I have been leaning toward the pentair intellicenter and intelliflo pump. I currently have a 14 year old 244t sand filter. As part of my research, I read to get the three year warranty, you need to get a filter, pump, and 1 other qualified item. Would you recommend replacing the sand filter? If so, what would you recommend replacing it with? Pool is around 28500 gallons, with a spa overflow.

I was talking to someone local and they stated cartridge filters were more maintenance.

They describe how the cartridge filter is more maintenance then your sand filter?

A large cartridge filter like that you breakdown and clean once a year.

Or you open it up and toss in a new cartridge.

What maintenance does your sand filter require?

Is the cost worth the extended time on the warranty, taking personal preference out of the equation?

That is up to you.

Thanks for the response! They were mentioning that the sand filter cost less up front, only needed to be back washed for 5 minutes every month or so and would last 7 years without sand replacement. Also noted backwashing does cost more in chemicals and potentially water as well. The cartridge filter cost more upfront and would need to be taken apart to clean the cartridges once or twice a year, which is more laborious than backwashing. Also noted the cartridges would need replacement about every 3 years or so.

Last edited:
Everyone has their favorite. Nobody is wrong as there are millions of happy users of all 3 out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.