Filter seemingly clogging & no return pressure, but water is clear?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
Third year with this pool, previous homeowner had it for a while. So not sure how old the components are.

Opened two weeks ago - was a bit green so went through the shock/vac/clean filter routine many times. I've been down this road before so comfortable with the process. Got it clear in about 5 days.

But in every prior year, once my water is clear, I can typically leave the same filter cartridge in for the rest of the summer and just treat with bleach here and there. Lately, within a few hours of starting the filter, my filter pressure is up 10 points and there's almost no water pressure coming out of the return. I don't seem to have any leaks, my water is clear, and even if I stop the filter and pull out the filter, it doesn't appear overly dirty. I originally suspected my pump was on its way out, but the fact that the pressure goes from 10 to 20 (new, clean cartridge to several hours old) makes me think it's not the pump. If I take the filter out, spray it down (even though it's hard to even tell I'm accomplishing anything), then put it back in, the pressure goes back down to 10 and the water pressure out of the return is great (for a few hours.

Any ideas? Is it common to have a filter get clogged in a few hours when the water appears clear and the filter doesn't look dirty when you take it out? This is the first time I've run into this.

Cartridge is not new - I actually inherited two of them and was alternating while going through the SLAM process. No special chemicals, just bleach/liquid chlorine.

I do need to refresh my chem test kit and so have not performed all of the tests yet, though I did get a bit confident having gone through this for 5-6 years that I was 'in the clear' (bad pool pun) and probably should take the time to do the full tests. Possible there are still some things floating around being filtered, and I just can't see them (either in the water or in the clogged filter)?

I would replace the filters, you never know if the previous owners used floc or clarifier, both will gum up the filters and it can’t be washed off. You can also try cleaning them with tsp and water in a large trash bin, leaving them to soak, then rinsing them well.

Reactions: dschddny

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.