Filter Run Time and SWG Percentage

Gregdole7

Dec 26, 2019
Alpharetta, Ga
Hello All,

First time pool owner and have done a deep dive on this site over the past few months and have successfully worked through the basics of managing my chemistry thus far--thank you.

I have read the article on here about starting at a 4 hour pump run time and then increasing/decreasing based on chlorine generation. As well, I have seen some folks state they run their pump as little as 30-45 min per day.

I assume it's best for the equipment and power bill to run as little as possible. Given this, is it best to determine a minimum time and have the SWG set to 100% and only run as long as needed for surface cleaning and chlorine generation?

Does the filter and SWG need to be run daily when water temp is above 60 degrees, or can it be run less if chlorine level is maintained?

Greg,

Pools use 2 to 4 ppm of chlorine (FC) each day.. It will not stay level...

If you have a single speed pump, then cost wise, it makes sense to set your cell to 100% output and then run your pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need. Doing this will most likely, keep your pool skimmed..

If you have a VS pump you can run longer and produce a little chlorine over a longer period of time, allowing you to reduce your output %.

Either way will work.. The key is to always maintain the proper CYA to FC relationship. FC/CYA Levels

This means that if you run your pump from say 7 am until 7 pm, that the FC level in the pool must be high enough when the pump shuts off to last until the pump comes back on.. During this off period, you want your FC to be well above the minimum..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.