Roswell GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Keep in mind I inherited this pool last year when we moved to a new house. There was already a pool company keeping it up and I continued this. My pool company suggested it might be time to clean or change the filters as they “theorized” they have not been changed in at least 5 years. Today I decided to tackle the filters. It is a Sta Rite S8m150 dual cartridge. Here’s what I found and this is after I cleaned them for an hour with a jet stream of hose water.

I’m assuming these should turn some semblance of white. Also assume it’s time to change them out?
pump pressure is either 17 or 120 depending on whether we are talking inside or outside of the dial.
I didn’t check it before.

If if I need to buy, where is the best deals?

Attachments

• C6138144-D021-46F9-AB27-D61DB104A02D.jpg
    C6138144-D021-46F9-AB27-D61DB104A02D.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 26D021CD-C54E-4BD1-957B-7E816D73F718.jpg
    26D021CD-C54E-4BD1-957B-7E816D73F718.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 418F257F-604C-4E7F-83DD-49417BF2C63E.jpg
    418F257F-604C-4E7F-83DD-49417BF2C63E.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 4DBEE80A-04F9-4DC4-ACD0-6DC9C04AEDAE.jpg
    4DBEE80A-04F9-4DC4-ACD0-6DC9C04AEDAE.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 57
D,

They will never turn white again.. :p

You can soak them, to go back to a semi-white, but the color is not what does the filtering...

The time to replace them is when the bands start to break and don't hold the pleats together.

All and all, it does not look all that bad... I would use it for now, but get one on order so that you have it ready the next time you clean the filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would clean it up and hang on to it. Just use it for the first week or so when you open your pool each year. You can clean it up better with these:

Pleatco Advanced Filter Wash

In terms of the rest of the pool season - I would just get a new one.

Call Pleatco and give them the measurements of the filter. They will hook you up with the filter model number you need. They make great filters.

Pleatco | Pool and Spa Filter Cartridges

I get them on Amazon.

You can try soaking the cartridges in TSP (TriSodium Phosphate).

4. For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.
5. Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

You can try soaking the cartridges in TSP (TriSodium Phosphate).

Thanks BAMA,
I will try that the next time I clean them. I think I will ride this set until next spring then use these from now on for opening and switch to the new ones after a couple of weeks.

D,

They will never turn white again.. :p

You can soak them, to go back to a semi-white, but the color is not what does the filtering...

The time to replace them is when the bands start to break and don't hold the pleats together.

All and all, it does not look all that bad... I would use it for now, but get one on order so that you have it ready the next time you clean the filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim for the info. The plan is to get a new set sometime this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.