Filter problems

Jun 19, 2015
Toledo,Ohio
Hello, I have a 27' round AG pool and I use a Hayward sand filter with 150" sand. I backwashed and rinsed the filter before cleaning today as I had dead algae and dirt in the pool. When I went to clean the pool a good portion of the junk I was cleaning was coming back through the return to the pool (like it wasn't being filtered) so now I have a cloudy pool until all this stuff settles. I just put new sand in last year and I also replaced all the laterals last year. It was in the filter mode while cleaning. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

If the debris came through immediately, I would suspect something inside the filter. If you vacuumed for a little while and then it came through, perhaps you overpowered the filter with too much debris. Have you backwashed again? Did the pressure rise?

Thanks, it happened about 5-10 min after I started vacuuming. As far as the pressure...I am unable to determine as my gauge is not working and I ordered a new one yesterday. I believe your assessment about overwhelming the filter may be correct.

A working gauge is important. It will allow you to tell when your filter is "loaded" and you can backwash before it dumps into your pool.

When you get the gauge screwed on, backwash thoroughly and then note your starting psi when you turn on the pump. remember it.

As soon as your gauge goes 25% above that "clean" reading it is time to backwash. You may have to do that a bunch if you have a lot of debris in your pool but it's what you need to do.; If your water is not too expensive, you can vacuum to waste and the debris will bypass your filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.