George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I recently purchased a replacement Jandy CL 460 cartr pool filter. It is to replace the existing same model. When I went to hook up the inlet and outlet fittings on the filter to the pool plumbing I discovered that the scree on connectors on plumbing are to small to screw onto the filter threads. Is there an adapter I can buy at a store that will allow me to resolve this mismatch in connector sizes?

Installed a new Jandy CL 460 pool filter to replace the existing model I had that had worn out. The must have changed the thread size on this newer one as my existing plumbing will not thread onto the inlet and outlet connector as the area larger in diameter. I went to both hardware and local pool supply store looking for a PVC adapter that would allow them to connect with doing a re-plumb but had no luck. Looking for recommendations for an online pool plumbing supply house where I might be able to order the correct adapter from.

The CL460 has 2” connections. It sounds like you have 1.5” pipes on your pool pad. I don’t think you will find an adapter to use your existing 1.5” unions. You need to cut them off and use a 1.5” to 2” fitting that you connect the 2” unions that came with the filter.

Since I purchased the same make and model number for the replacement filter I would have thought that I would have been able to connect the existing plumbing to it. After going to several hardware stores to find the plumbing I was told that the threads for pool plumbing were different than one used for house plumbing? In desperation to get my filter back online went to leslie's to find they didn't have what I needed
They said they could order parts that would work if I gave them the exact Part No needed or I could for $90 dollars have one of them come to my home to determine what parts were needed and then schedule another repair appointment once the parts came in. Can I get the parts you recommend at the local hardware store?

The new fittings should be in the box that the filter came in.

If it was a sealed box, the fittings should be in a plastic bag with the pressure gauge and the instructions.

Do I need to get pool plumbing parts from a pool plumbing supply or can I get them from a hardware store?

Depends on the parts you need. Post pics of your equipment pad and the pipes you are trying to connect to the filter and your new filter. Let us see what your situation is.

The threads are most likely proprietary so you may not be able to get a commercial fitting for it. But as said above, it should have come with extra fittings. Can you remove your old fittings?

The filter unions are not going to be available from a hardware store.

They should be in the box.

If the unions did not come in the box, contact the seller and/or Jandy to request that they are sent to you.

Jandy should be able to refer you to a local authorized dealer who should have the unions in stock.

So yes the new filter has unions on them. The filter however did not come with the connectors that you install on the pipe that connects to the filter inlet and outlet ports. (See attached photo). When I tried to screw on the pipe using the connectors already on it theydo not screw on as the new filter male connectors are larger than the old one. Even if I purchase the mating connectors for the new filter I would need to increase the pipe to 3" size. This means I would have to also find an 2" to 3" PVC adapter or replace all of the 2" plumbing which would be a large job. Am I missing anything and making this too hard?

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_195648262.jpg
    PXL_20210409_195648262.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That does not look like a new filter.

Where did you buy the filter?

Was it in a sealed official Jandy box?

Do you have a picture of the whole filter?

The new unions come with the new filter.

Is this a new or used filter?

The fittings on your filter don't look right.

Can you show a picture of the box label for the filter?

Can you show the new filter label?

Can you show the old filter label?

Last edited:
You are right the previous photo is of the old filter and plumbing that attaches to it I bought the new filter on line and it did not come in a Jandy box. It did come with the adapters shown in the attached photo. These adapters are not compatible for hookup to the existing plumbing shown in first photo. That is problem I am asking for recommendations to fix.

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_061255851.jpg
    PXL_20210411_061255851.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210411_061201817.jpg
    PXL_20210411_061201817.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 12
I'm not understanding.

It looks like the old filter with the old bulkhead fitting does not fit the old union?

What is the model number for the new filter?

Is it the exact same model number as the old filter?

The filter should have come with unions that fit.

Can you contact the seller and ask for the unions that you should have received?

If not, just go to a pool store and get the new unions.

If you have the filter model number, look up the parts list for the correct part and get it locally or online.

The model number for both the old and new filter is CL460. The only difference appears to be the diameter of the female threads that are on the outside of the unions (maybe I am using the wrong terminology for them but they are the parts that go through the body of the tank and there is one installed higher and one lower on lower half of the filter body). On the inside of the one of them outputs water from the pump to flow through the cartridge filters. The higher one feeds water from the top of tank back to the return line. The outside of theses contain threaded female unions. The inlet and outlet plumbing has connectors on it which screwed onto the female threads to attached the piping to the tank. The manual I got says to use 2" plumbing but the female thread and the connectors described above are 3 " diameter they are two large to connect to the 2" plumbing lines I have installed for the previous filter. If still not clear I will take additional photos in the daylight showing both old and new filters parts. In the meantime here is a picture of the manual parts page and associated diagram.

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_072251689.jpg
    PXL_20210411_072251689.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210411_072258434.jpg
    PXL_20210411_072258434.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 11
You should have received the unions in the box.

It might be this.

They are the unions that connect to the bulkhead fittings.

They take 2" pipe inside or a 2.5" fitting outside.

I don't know what's going on with your new filter since it was not in a sealed Jandy box.

Contact the seller to ask for the correct parts.

Your missing the piece that glues to the end of the pipe, according to pic two, where there are only 3 pieces, there should be four.
It might be possible to use the old bulkheads from old filter, knowing they thread onto old pieces on pipe, as long as they thread onto old filter.
you are missing the piece that is currently glued at the end of pipe, that piece holds back the nut, and connects the filter, you should notice that the old nut on pipe wont slip past that end piece unless you cut the piece off which is what you would have done and glued the new piece which you are missing.

The seller probably sent the wrong parts.

It looks like the seller just sent random parts from different filters.

The manual doesn't even look real.

Send everything back and get your money back and get the filter from a legitimate seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad1979

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.