Filter output line leak - two part question.

ManiacalMama

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Antelope, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I have what seems to be a small drip at an elbow in the pvc output coming from my filter (see pic). I've searched here to see if there was some sort of external repair that could be done, but I'm seeing the best thing to do would be to cut it out and replace it. My issue is all the short runs between unions and elbows. So I wanted to ask someone with an experienced eye...where would you cut to replace this?
The second part to my question is: I would like to install an SWG (looking at CircuPool) in the future and know I will need a certain amount of a straight run to do that, how best to set myself up in the future to make that easiest?

I've only ever worked (very very little) with sprinkler PVC. Explain like I'm five pretty please?

Attachments

• pool line leak.jpg
    pool line leak.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 8
How much room do you have to come out past the concrete pad?

Plan to mount the SWG vertical and then you have plenty of room.

There is actually plenty of room, and while not pretty I could definitely do that.
I was originally looking at the Core35 for the simplicity of it, but started looking more seriously at the SJ-35.

Review the installation manuals and see which ones show vertical mounting. I know the RJ series does.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what parts of that PVC to keep, and what I need to cut.
Where it goes down into the concrete, there is an elbow glued there. Do I cut it off at the concrete level and use a slip fitting in there, or would I cut it before the elbow on the filter side and leave myself some workable PVC to fit a coupling?
Also, where the whole mess attaches to the filter, would that typically be a threaded fitting that I can reuse, or would I need a new one of those as well?
I'm clueless, but I'm not willing to spend hundreds to have someone else do it when I know I can do it myself.

Since you are clueless this may help...

I would cut where I put the red line. You don't want to wrestle with the 90 going into the concrete pad. This gives you an easy connection with a coupler and leaves some meat for future cuts.

On the other side you need to see if you can get the union that screws onto the filter. If not you need to reuse it by using a socket saver and drilling out the coupler.

Between those points you do 90's up and connect in your SWG.

Buy a bunch of PVC and different types of fittings and dry fit it all and figure out what layout works best. It is a process of trial and error.

pool line leak.jpg

Since you are clueless this may help...

I would cut where I put the red line. You don't want to wrestle with the 90 going into the concrete pad. This gives you an easy connection with a coupler and leaves some meat for future cuts.

On the other side you need to see if you can get the union that screws onto the filter. If not you need to reuse it by using a socket saver and drilling out the coupler.

Between those points you do 90's up and connect in your SWG.

Buy a bunch of PVC and different types of fittings and dry fit it all and figure out what layout works best. It is a process of trial and error.

View attachment 321628
Thank you ajw, that helps a lot. I think I found the union on Amazon already.
I'm going to see if I can talk the hubby into letting me get the SWG now rather than later. I'd rather just do it all at once and have it summer ready. Now I need to find out if the SWGs I'm looking at will be compatible with a simple intermatic timer and a single speed pump.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.