Filter Issues trying to clear up my swamp

Jun 8, 2017
Londonderry, NH
So I took the cover off my pool this year to discover that the entire bottom was green. My problem is the fact the the pump needs to be running constantly while trying to remove the algae. I don't know if it's my filter, but I cannot keep the pump running for more than a couple of hours at a time without having to clean the cartridge. After cleaning the filter and turning on the pump, it gets to about 7 psi above starting pressure quickly. And while the water coming out of the return is pretty strong after initial cleaning, after a couple hours, it's barely coming out hard enough to move the water. The filter cartridge is definitely green all over, but it doesn't look completely saturated. I don't get it.

I am not following the exact procedure laid out in this thread, but I have gotten basically the same advice from local pool stores. I've raised the PH, got alga killing chemicals and tons of shock. But I feel like all of my efforts to follow their instructions are hampered because of how quickly the performance degrades after turning on the pump. I don't have the time to hang around constantly to clean the filter once the pressure gets too high. And I'm not even sure that would help anyway if I did. I do not have an option to circulate the water while cleaning the filter, and I cannot vaccuum to waster either. I guess I am just wondering if it sounds like the filter cartridge is bad or if this filter simply cannot handle the amount of algae in my pool. Or is this normal and just part of the pain of getting rid of this stuff?

Welcomed TFP.

All of us are going to tell your the same four things-

Stop using the "algae killing chemicals"

Stop going to the pool store

Get your own test kit

Stop throwing in "tons of shock"

We base our system of pool care on adding on,y what the pool needs, when it needs it. Right now your pool needs measured doses of liquid chlorine. No solid forms of chlorine, like bags of shock.

Follow the instructions in the SLAM Process article to the letter.

You probably don't have a filter problem, it is just overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that needs filtering out of the water. But, with that being said, filters will never clear a green pool, chlorine will.

+1 what Tim said.....Stay out of the Pool Store and learn to manage your own pool.

Your problem is a dirty pool that is overwhelming your filter.

Stoip using "tons of shock". You must learn how to test properly and dose your pool properly.

Fair enough. I guess I am still concerned that the filter issue is going to hinder this process. I understand that this is a several day process, but I cannot possibly keep the water circulating efficiently, especially at night and when I am at work. Could the whole thing be a waste of time if there are long periods when water circulation is greatly decreased? Or does that just mean it could take longer?

Can you tell us which chemicals you have used? Some of the active ingredients may be making the problem worse. An algae ladden pool will quickly clog a pool filter, so in the early stages of clearing the pool you will need to work on it when you (or someone) are available to clean the filter as needed.

You might be able to remove the cartridge and close the filter back up, so that it "re-circulates" while you are killing the algae.

The pool store isn't telling you the same thing the people here are. We don't use "shock" products, it's a process with chlorine after you know your accurate test results. Algaecides are not recommended as they are not needed.

The problem with pool "shock" products is that they contain other chemicals that only add to your problems. Too many people think you can just add the recommended dosage and all your problems magically disappear and when it doesn't happen rhey do it again instead of learning. Algaecides also add things you don't want or need in a pool often times copper being one of them that then causes metal staining and green hair. The pool stores don't care about that because they can then sell you something else to fix the new problem.

Using the methods described here in Pool School you will feel like you use "tons of chlorine" to clean your swamp (I can't help but say the word swamp in my head like they do on Shrek because we just saw it as a musical yesterday afternoon:D) but liquid chlorine is cheaper than "pool shock" products and will not add other chemicals with it if you use plain versions.

Lucky for you, you found a forum where people will guide you through the process if you are willing to learn. Dig in and start reading and then ask all the questions you have about the process. We want you to learn so you can do it simply, have good results, and be proud of that sparkling water- and yes, it does sparkle ��

Edit to say I just realized you were most concerned about your filter slowing the process down. Cartridge filters aren't the best filter for an algae treatment and may take more work, but I imagine it can be done. May take more effort on your part cleaning the filters. If you have the $ to invest in a sand filter it would probably serve you better in the long run. I know they say don't oversize them, I couldn't find the reference to that at the moment but I'm sure it's available here if you do a search.

It's just going to take a little longer. You need to be dilligent in keeping the chlorine level up so you are killing the algae faster than it is reproducing. It might make it easier to pick up a second filter cartridge so you can swam them out as they fill up.

I appreciate all the advice. You're probably all really going to hate me now, cause I've actually been to a couple different pool stores. The first for my initial water test. They gave me 6 "pound" bags of powder shock, a bottle of algaecide, and something to raise the alkalinity. I went to the second place for another opinion out of frustration with the algae. they gave me some soda ash to raise the ph, 3 "pound" bags of their shock, and a bottle of something called green clean. Not sure what was in it without looking at the bottle. But I was told to raise the ph to 7.8, add the green clean and a bag of shock every 12 hours. I'm in the middle of that process, but haven't seen much improvement obviously.

So I'm done with pool stores, except to buy the test kit. Can I assume it's ok to go there for the kit? Also, it never occurred to me to run the filter without the cartridge.Would that be a better idea, at least during the first stages when I start adding the liquid chlorine?

Can I assume it's ok to go there for the kit?
There are two kits that work with what we teach.....the tftestkits TF-100 and the Taylor K2006C. You won't be able to find either in Pool Store. The best value is the TF-100 available from TFTestkits.net.

Ruining without the cartridge for a day is not a bad idea. You will still have to clean that cartridge often, I think, it's just the nature of things. You have a lot of debris in your pool.....the chlorine (nothing else) will kill it but your filter needs to filter it out of the water.

It is important to know if the shock contained dichlor or calcium hypochlorite. Dichlor contains stabilizer, also known as CYA. When CYA levels are too high maintaining a pool becomes difficult, and CYA levels must be lowered. Pool stores often describe this condition as "chlorine lock". Despite what it is called the only way to decrease the CYA is to drain and refill. How much needs to be drained depends upon how high the CYA level is. Once you have your own FAS/DPD test kit you can determine whether or not you need to drain any water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll get one of the recommended test kits to measure the CYA. This may be a tough question to answer without knowing what the CYA is, but can you give me an idea of how different amounts of liquid chlorine/bleach affect the FC level? Just wondering how much I should buy and how I know what amount to add once I know the target level. I'm sure this is largely trial and error. I just don't know if I should be expecting to have to add entire bottles or more moderate amounts.

Order that kit...yesterday! It's only a guess until you post numbers. Post a picture of the pool too if you can. The one assumption we can make is...if your filter clogs up that quickly, you are dealing with lots of "stuff" that needs to be killed and removed...so it won't be a little chlorine...PoolMath will walk you through the "how much of whats"..but only if you have accurate test numbers.

Keep the faith...I'm new on here just a few weeks...I listened, read tons..followed all the great advice given to me..and I'm 11 days and counting on a sparkling as never before pool! IT WORKS!

You're probably all really going to hate me now, cause I've actually been to a couple different pool stores.
Nope, we don't hate anyone. As a new pool owner you don't know what you don't know. You went to a "professional" but they were less than professional.......

While you wait for your test kit to be delivered, read all of Pool School you can.

Like the others said, no hate here. We all have to learn sometime. You'll get it. The pool stores are supposed to help pool owners but all too often they just sell stuff and give suggestions that mean more sales whether they mean to or not. If I was a pool store owner I would be inclined to really know what I was talking about so when I gave advice no one would have a chance of being hurt by it. I don't understand why they seem to recommend all the things they shouldn't most of the time, but I guess that's probably sales.

As far as how much chlorine, as the others said, it's really hard to know until you have an idea what your CYA is. It will be in the gallons. You might do some shopping around to find out the best value for you $. There is a thread here as well that talks about the cheaper places to get it. I often get mine at Aldi's or Rural King because their prices are fair and I don't always have time to find the sales.

I will tell you too, once you start the SLAM process, the algae will likely die rather quickly and the water will turn cloudy/blue. That will hang around for what seems like forever and you'll think you're never going to see it clear again- I've been there too. It takes awhile for the filter to clear out all of that dead algae, but eventually it will get there.

0608172014.jpgSince someone asked, here is what I'm dealing with. I have ordered the test kit. So I guess I'll post updates as I get numbers and start the process. In the meantime, is it a waste of time and electricity to continue running my pump and cleaning my filter? Does it make sense at all to get some liquid chlorine or bleach and put something in just to keep it from getting worse and starting the process? Or is that just a waste of money until I have real measurements?

View attachment 63209Since someone asked, here is what I'm dealing with. I have ordered the test kit. So I guess I'll post updates as I get numbers and start the process. In the meantime, is it a waste of time and electricity to continue running my pump and cleaning my filter? Does it make sense at all to get some liquid chlorine or bleach and put something in just to keep it from getting worse and starting the process? Or is that just a waste of money until I have real measurements?
Cleaning is never a waste of time. With your size pool and the color, it would be safe to add a bottle of 8.25% bleach in the AM and one in the PM. After it circulates in you can shut off the pump. With that color and clogging the filter I wouldn't leave it alone too long unattended.

Ok, I suppose I could plan to add some bleach tonight and just run the pump without the filter cartridge overnight just so it circulates? Then I can start running it with the filter cartridge in the morning and maybe add some more bleach then so I can keep an eye on it all day.

Sounds like a plan Robs. Make sure you brush the walls tomorrow morning when you have your filter on. Brushing will loosen that algae's hold on your pool so it can be killed by the bleach. Stay with it! Your pool is going to look AMAZING!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on the bottom of the PoolMath calculator you will see a volume estimator. Try that out so maybe you can get a closer estimate of how many gallons your pool is.

So I know this thread is getting old, but I just started getting numbers from my test. CYA and chlorine are both coming up 0. While waiting for the test, I have been adding bleach and cleaning the filter as consistently as possible. Obviously that has been doing nothing, as the pool looks no different. So I'm not sure what to do at this point. The slam process seems to rely on some level of CYA to know how to adjust chlorine. So what do I do with a CYA of 0? Do I need to work on getting that number up first?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.