Filter drain question

Danny56

Jul 25, 2019
Illinois
This might be a silly question, but I have a Hayward DE Perflex Filter for my above ground pool and it has a drain at the bottom of the filter. I know that it's used for when I clean the filter by draining out all of the old DE and recharging it. But is it okay to use the drain to lower the water level in my pool if it gets too high? Or would it wash away some of the DE in my filter? The manual only talks about using it while cleaning and I'm not sure if it could just be used as a regular drain.

Attachments

• 20200703_033839.jpg
    20200703_033839.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2
You would lose DE. A better option: I have a hose bib installed on the line between the pump and the filter. It was originally there for the pool builders pressure test. But it now serves a couple function. Its a quick easy way to get pool water for my testing, or a handy way to lower my water level just a bit after a hard rain.

If you post a photo of your pool equipment we can give you options on where would be a good place to add a waste valve. If you use hoses for your plumbing you may need to hard plumb the pool to add a waste valve.

This is my current filter setup with hoses. The diverter valve is there because I have two returns on my pool and one goes through a heater.

However one of the ends of the valve did crack and is leaking and I don't want to pay around $50 for a new one. Would I be able to use PVC to create something like a 4 way valve? Two ends for the returns and one end that goes to waste? I've not familiar with PVC that much so I'm not sure if it's possible.

20200703_124733.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.