Gold Supporter
Jun 15, 2022
Mason Neck, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a cartridge filter with 4 parallel elements. It is challenging and time consuming to clean the filter elements. I saw a Neoterics Blaster Automatic Pool Cartridge Filter Cleaner on Amazon that has mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience or information about these cleaners? Any other tips on keeping cartridge elements clean? I'm cautious about using cleaning liquids because I don't want to introduce additional compounds into the pool chemistry mix.

Hmmm, interesting. I try to keep my cartridges parallel to the ground and spray them from below so that the debris falls out better. That seems to be the premise behind this thing too.

What I've ended up doing is running a broomstick down the middle of the filters, then prop the ends of the stick on something to hold the entire filter off the ground. With just the force of the water with a spray nozzle, it can really start to spin too! I have to keep one hand on it to keep it from spinning too fast to effectively spray it down.

Reactions: Sassy68 and Max.VA
I have a low pressure electric pressure washer with a wide spray tip. I use it every 2nd or 3rd cleaning. I can clean all day with the hose ends and think it’s clean but the pressure washer will knock out all kinds of junk.
Just have to be careful and not damage the filter. Use the wide spray and spray down

Max,

I have serious doubts how well it would work compared to doing by hand...

That said, I have not used it, and it is not a lot of money, so it would be worth a shot to see how well it works.

But I have to ask... How often do you clean your cartridges? I only clean mine every six months, probably could go a whole year if I wanted.

Thanks,

Jim R.

great suggestions, information, and questions. thank you.
I cleaned my cartridges twice since installing the pool in December. mostly brown sludge from metal removal and Chlorine deactivator (huge mistake). There was some cement slag in the pool from pouring the concrete deck around the fiberglass lip and in the forms set into the cover tracks. The cartridge cleaning process is tedious and I'd gladly apply some $$ and 10% effort to achieve an 80% solution rather than hours and 80% effort on a 90% solution. I don't anticipate cleaning more than 2-3 times yearly and the broom stick / spray from underneath might be a reasonable approach next time to see if that speeds things up. I'm pretty sure I will get soaking wet with that method.

• Haha
Reactions: Sassy68
Reactions: Max.VA
I'm pretty sure I will get soaking wet with that method.
Oh yeah, you will.

I've had both sand filters and cartridge filters. My current setup is cartridge (we bought the house with an existing pool) and I despise cleaning them. I usually do it 3 times per year (see below).

I'm going to replace them with a sand filter eventually. I can't tell the cartridges keep the water any clearer and the maintenance on a sand filter is so much easier.

My pool...
Screenshot_20220609-003845-557.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yeah. I openly admit I cleaned mine too often, for me, not them. :ROFLMAO:

I like playing with the hose and when I was done I no longer wondered how much crud was in there.

I use the Aqua Comb Pool Filter Cartridge Cleaner (available on Amazon) to clean our 4 filter cartridges.
I remove the cartridges from the filter, take them into the yard where I set up a lawn chair and a plastic milk crate. I set the cartridge on the milk crate and work my way down and around the cartridge. I then turn it over and repeat. Gets a lot a gunk out of the pleats. It also gets me very wet....only do this on warm days.;)

I generally clean the cartridges twice a year. After we open the pool and run the filter to get the pool pretty clean, I clean the cartridges. I did that last week and after reinstalling the cartridges, the water in the pool completely cleared up. I will clean them again in August/September. We close the pool around the end of October. So, the cartridges will be pretty clean when we open the pool the following spring.

I replace all the cartridges every 2-3 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.