Filter Cartridge Care and Lifespan

sandman98

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2016
Warminster, PA
Hi All!
Thank you for our second season of trouble free pool care. So happy I found this site when our install was taking place. Water has been absolutely sparkling for two solid seasons. WooHoo!!!

As I'm preparing to close in the next couple weeks, I pulled my filter apart today and hosed off my 4 filter cartridges. Quite a bit of crud removed--my gauge pressure only went up 2 psi through the whole season. I'm guessing it's because my filter (Pentair 320) is oversized for the pool (13k gallons). While the large debris was removed, there still appear to be some brown staining on the pleats that doesn't come off. This leads me to a few questions about cartridge care...

1. I've only cleaned the filters by hosing at the end of each season. Will I extend cartridge life by cleaning more frequently?

2. Should I routinely use a chemical cleaner, either TSP or muriatic acid?

3. How many seasons should I expect out of this 4 cartridge unit?

4. How do I know when the pleated cartridges need to be replaced?

Any help and/or information would be much appreciated. Hope you've all had a wonderful swim season!

I only clean my cartridges once per year. My filter is over sized also.

The only reason to use TSP is if the filters are clogged with oils. So if your filter pressure quicker than normal, then soak them. Otherwise, not necessary.

They can last a very long time. As you only have them in the water for 6 months or so a year, should last a long time. Protecting them in the winter is important.

A tear in the filter media or a deformation of the ends (they are plastic and eventually break down) are the main reasons for replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.