Film on Vinyl Liner

shein33

May 4, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I didn't cover my pool last year (big mistake I won't make again) so I ended up with a mess when I opened on 5/22. I've been SLAMing since and I think I'm juuuust about in the clear. Yesterday, I noticed there's is a film on the vertical walls of my liner. It's no where to be seen on the slants to the deep end or the bottom. It's a bit rough to the touch. If I run my nails on it to scrape some off, it is a bit yellow in color and gritty. It does not come off easily with my brush.

Any idea what this could be? My pool had a nice carpet of algae on nearly the whole thing.

I SLAMed with Great Value Unscented bleach from WalMart, Pool Shock and a few hits of granular Chlorine.

FC - 16 (Recommended SLAM level)
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 90
CYA - 85

First -- if your CYA is 90 (round up), your SLAM level FC is 35 ppm.

If you can get a sample of the material, put a drop of acid or vinegar on it and see if it fizzes.

It would be advisable to do a sizable drain and refill. With a vinyl liner, you can drain to leaving 12" or so in the shallow end.

When you drain, get a good sample of the material. Dry bleach and some muriatic acid on a couple samples.

Drain and refill for the CYA.

Still thinking a scale, or a algae/bacteria. Could also be iron. Does your fill water have iron in it?

That CYA is OK to high for a SWCG but I thought you were in the SLAM Process?

Some pool stores will test for iron. Take a sample of the pool and the fill water. Do not buy anything.
Do you have a water softener, conditioner, etc? Do your plumbing fixtures get stained red, brown, etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.