Filling New Pool from Water Truck and Have Questions???

TxHr

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2018
New Braunfels, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool is due to have Pebble Sheen installed next week and we will start filling with our well until the water truck can arrive. We have ordered 12k gallons of water and it will come in two semi loads. Apparently the trucks park at the street and pump the water down to the pool. With such a large amount of water being dumped into the pool, how can I go about making sure the pebble finish isn’t harmed?

ive read numerous times, here on the forum, when filling with a garden hose to put it in a plastic bottle wrapped with an old sock but with a truck and pump, I’m not to sure where to go...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

You could get some water in the pool from your hose, say two feet in the deep end. Then when the water crashes in it will be buffered. That’s essentially what happened for us. But there may be a reason you are not using your own water. We are on a well and have good water but wanted to start water before the next morning when water was coming because plaster was finished late.

But in reality, the water going in probably would be fine anyway. It happens all the time.

That bottle advice is mostly so the metal ring on the hose end doesn’t rest on the pool surface. The sock is for sediment which isn’t an issue with trucked water assuming it’s from a public water system (hopefully).

Well water huh? Hummmm. I hope it's iron-free or with very low content. If you have suspected iron in that water, make sure to have a very good sequestrant added as well just to be safe so you don't see any staining on that new surface. Hope everything works well for you next week.

Luckily my iron content is low and the water will go through a dual stage sediment filter. Hopefully 5000 gal of well water will be fine and the trucked water will have a cushion when filling the pool

Only the first splashes are going to hit your pebble finish. Probably before the hose gets to full pressure there will be a water layer that the flow hits. Should not be a problem. I needed 4 water trucks.

4E1E9B5D-3C3D-4D5E-9957-54BC67469FFD.jpg

One thing I want to add is to make sure there is some water going into the pool at all times once you start filling. You do NOT want the water level to sit for any amount of time until it is half way up the waterline tile. If you stop the flow of water your pretty, new plaster can get a ring that is next to impossible to remove.

One thing I want to add is to make sure there is some water going into the pool at all times once you start filling. You do NOT want the water level to sit for any amount of time until it is half way up the waterline tile. If you stop the flow of water your pretty, new plaster can get a ring that is next to impossible to remove.

That is why you see in my pic I had two house hoses running. I needed four truckloads of water and they had two trucks dedicated to my job. The trucks needed to go about 30 miles to load their water. And when one truck was returning with their second load it got a flat tire and was stuck on the side of a highway.

Be prepared for there to be some break between truck loads of water. Stuff happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pebble finish seems to be pretty tough stuff too. They let ours cure overnight and the acid wash crew wasn’t babying it the next afternoon. Here is a snapshot of the guy going full tilt with a 4,000 PSI pressure washer.
bd0aa3161d2cf92d6d5fa5230d712ae4.jpg

I used a bucket to slow down my 40gpm fill for the first foot or so out of an abundance of caution, but it wasn’t really necessary based on the plasters resilience to high pressure cleaning. (The cloud of yellow is start-up chems for plaster dust)

9d3ac9be23731e86b2b69b3ce5f57dfe.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.