Fighting Mustard, Black Algae vs. Complete Drain and Clean

Hoster

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
I was fighting with mustard algae for 2 years (no success) before I had to replace my liner due to leakage (beginning of last season). This mustard algae start spreading and had a difficult time controlling even with TFP methods. Also, the algae would disappear above FC 10 or so but return below 10 or so. With the "fresh" water (was less than $250 to fill 20K+ gallons), I have noticed that balancing the water was obviously easier which triggered a thought:

Considering the $ (for chemicals, electricity, etc.) and time / efforts (mustard algae never seem to go away permanently), should one consider completely draining then use liquid chlorine (or other chemicals to clean, brush the effected area) then re-fill? Is this worth it or even effective? Of course, this assumes one has a pump to completely drain the water. I hope don't have to consider this option but just wondering.

Absolutely, not sure there is a need for this to be in A2D!

The issue is in many cases it not feasible to drain a pool completely. You have a vinyl liner, it is not advised for your to now drain your pool more than 18-24" as your liner can shift. Many areas have high water tables such that gunite or fiberglass pools can pop out of the ground.

So, yes, even with large algae outbreaks, one should always look at the feasibility of draining most if not all the water in the pool and start fresh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.