Fighting Mustard Algae yet again, am I on the right track?

frustratedpoolmom said:
An overnight FC loss test, with the SWG turned off, is the only way to rule out organics overwhelming the unit.

It did hold at 4, but something changed. An overnight FC loss test can rule out organics, and pinpoint the unit itself.

I'll perform an overnight FC loss test (with the SWG off) Thursday night (my night off). In the meantime, I increased the SWGs Cell Power Level to "3" per the Pool Pilot manual. That is max power and will ultimately shorten cell life, but running at 100% on Power Level "2" is doing the same damage.

We'll see. Thanks again to all of the TFP members who've helped me with this problem.

I just ran my overnight FC hold test and the pool maintained a 4 FC reading overnight with the SWG off. The pool looks GREAT, btw! Increasing circulation time to 12hrs and increasing the cell power level on the SWG seems to have helped.

It's BAAAAAAACK! D@mmit! :rant: :x :evil:

How much of a chlorine level should be necessary to prevent algae? I'm reading 3-5 ppm FC on this thread --> water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

Apparently my SWG is completely incapable of maintaining a level above about 2.5 even at Power Level 3 and 100%. I don't think it's working properly. Is there any definitive way to tell if the SWG is working other than it's own self-diagnostic?

CYA hasn't fallen below 75 this whole time, so there's no reason for all of my chlorine to be disappearing that fast.

Edit: Just sent an e-mail to Pool Pilot Tech Support. Maybe they'll have some ideas.

My cell amp hours are over 25,000! At 10 hrs/day that's almost 7 years! The cells have an estimated life span of 10,000 hours. I've only had my pool for 2.5 years and this cell has only been installed for 1.5 years. I think they slipped me an old cell when they put the proper size one on a year and half ago! I'll be paying them a visit Monday morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.