Field mice

Math balls? Sounds like something you might use to cheat in calculus...
you guys... typo... you know I meant Meat Balls!

Do I put the mothballs in anything or just put them in the corners and along the floor ? Like put them in cups?
Put them where the mice would be trying to nest or hide out. So in corners, under cushions of couch, back of shelves. etc. They don't like the odor. I've read other essential oils would work too, but moth bolls are less expensive, convenient, and have a kind of self contained built in method of delivery.
This time of year they are looking for someplace to nest for the winter. So you want to make it less comfortable for them compared to where they are coming from and whatever is near by. Did you look at one of those electronic repellents for your pool house?

What I buy are the moth "bars". They are made of the moth ball stuff but they are a solid rectangle in a little plastic case that can be hung or just left laying on the floor/ground. I get mine from Walmart.
Dang..sorry I cross posted from a different forum.. that was the answer to "Why does a Physicist wear a jock strap?"

Ok cool thanks Kim.

you guys... typo... you know I meant Meat Balls!

Put them where the mice would be trying to nest or hide out. So in corners, under cushions of couch, back of shelves. etc. They don't like the odor. I've read other essential oils would work too, but moth bolls are less expensive, convenient, and have a kind of self contained built in method of delivery.
This time of year they are looking for someplace to nest for the winter. So you want to make it less comfortable for them compared to where they are coming from and whatever is near by. Did you look at one of those electronic repellents for your pool house?

No I didn’t get there yet. Tonight when I go to Walmart I guess. I need snap traps do I don’t get all the pet lovers here uptight. Lol. I know I know I’m kidding. I need the moth balls or meat balls or math balls. I lost track of what they r called. Lol

The old school wooden traps work fine.. but I found these and they seem better...
Victor Power Kill
I think bigger trigger pad around the bait makes it less likely of false triggers. Kind of like the screw trick mentioned up thread. . Since mice and Rats are not stupid, they are capable of learning what a trap looks like. I don't arm all the ones I set up.. I will bait them.. If I find the bait is gone I'll rebait it and arm it. They will not be able to learn which ones to avoid.

Reactions: jimim
You could try havahart live trapping. You must however make them someone elses problem by bringing them over a mile away from your house because they will return if not. Since you are going fishing tomorrow how about taking them with you!

My friend painted the tails of live trapped mice. The same ones kept returning. That’s when she researched the distance thing. No car at the time so she rode them in her bike basket to their new home away from home.

Sorry about being all hippy dippy but sticky traps can pull off legs and tails, causing unnecessary pain, and they don't kill. You're just torturing the little things. Poison gets into the food chain, killing predators and pets (dogs and cats). I don't advocate poison unless you live in an apartment with no pets or don't have pets.

Better to stick with kill traps.

Sorry about being all hippy dippy but sticky traps can pull off legs and tails, causing unnecessary pain, and they don't kill. You're just torturing the little things. Poison gets into the food chain, killing predators and pets (dogs and cats). I don't advocate poison unless you live in an apartment with no pets or don't have pets.

Better to stick with kill traps.

I’m using snap traps now. I just want them dead.

Reactions: Gladius Nova

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could try havahart live trapping. You must however make them someone elses problem by bringing them over a mile away from your house because they will return if not. Since you are going fishing tomorrow how about taking them with you!

My friend painted the tails of live trapped mice. The same ones kept returning. That’s when she researched the distance thing. No car at the time so she rode them in her bike basket to their new home away from home.

You guys love taking up my time. Lol

I’m kill only. Take em out of the food chain. They serve no purpose around my home. Lol

I got another last night. So up to 4.

I also put down the moth bars around my outdoor furniture that they got into. Put me up my the rafts they didn’t ruin.

So I think I’m getting a grip on the situation.

I

Are the ones you are catching seem like juveniles?

I edited my first post.. make sure you remove anything they are eating too . that makes it less habitable as well..
Getting rid of mice is like doing a SLAM... keep up the pressure until they find someplace else they prefer. If you are in a rural environment it will be an ongoing battle, more like a zombie movie. ;-)

If you are in a rural environment it will be an ongoing battle, more like a zombie movie. ;-)

This time of year, everything tries to get in my house. Nice, bugs, spiders, crickets. My wife always starts yelling ‘Why are all these dang things coming in???’ Lol sweetie cuz they’re smart and if they don’t it won’t end well for them in the cold

Adult mice can fit through an opening the size of a dime. Keep that in mind when you look for places to caulk.

Most of those electronic gizmos are not effective. Animals are kind of smart - if the thing that bothers them once or twice doesn’t kill them they ignore it. Kind of why they keep going into traps for PB - peanut butter - pun intended. They don’t survive that so no mutations, ie, few survival of the fittest.

Regarding the floats, cushions, etc. Can you store them vertically? If I were a mouse I would set up house in a nice cushy, warm place. Think like a mouse!

Since we haven’t had rain in weeks there’s a rash of tree frogs in bathroom toilets in my neighborhood! It’s bad enough finding one in the skimmer. Imagine meeting one in the middle of the night in a dark bathroom while doing your business!

Are the ones you are catching seem like juveniles?

I edited my first post.. make sure you remove anything they are eating too . that makes it less habitable as well..
Getting rid of mice is like doing a SLAM... keep up the pressure until they find someplace else they prefer. If you are in a rural environment it will be an ongoing battle, more like a zombie movie. ;-)

They r small. That’s for sure. Bit I really don’t know how largexthey get. They are field mice. I am all woods behind me. Never had an issue till this past few months since I finished the pool house. 2 years now c

Adult mice can fit through an opening the size of a dime. Keep that in mind when you look for places to caulk.

Most of those electronic gizmos are not effective. Animals are kind of smart - if the thing that bothers them once or twice doesn’t kill them they ignore it. Kind of why they keep going into traps for PB - peanut butter - pun intended. They don’t survive that so no mutations, ie, few survival of the fittest.

Regarding the floats, cushions, etc. Can you store them vertically? If I were a mouse I would set up house in a nice cushy, warm place. Think like a mouse!

Since we haven’t had rain in weeks there’s a rash of tree frogs in bathroom toilets in my neighborhood! It’s bad enough finding one in the skimmer. Imagine meeting one in the middle of the night in a dark bathroom while doing your business!

Lifted up the seat in the toilet in the pool house the other day. Ya frog. Thankfully I wasn’t going to sit. Lol

I actually starting putting the floats sideways now so less surface area.

I got the moth balls in cups out there too.

Imagine meeting one in the middle of the night in a dark bathroom while doing your business!

On one hand, it would scare the ‘crud’ out of me. On the other hand at least I’d be in a good spot for that to happen.....

Reactions: Bam Bam
I’m told that the frogs come in through the sanitary vent on the roof. They hop off the trees. Might consider some frog preventive mesh and/or trimming any overhanging tree branches, etc. Fortunately all my trees don’t overhang. Although several years ago I realized the ginormous state bug euphemistically called Palmetto bug was getting into the house from the overhanging river birch. Had it trimmed and problem limited to the few that make it past the toxic waste site surrounding the house.

i got 2 on snap traps last night in my storage area. one very small os deff a baby and a larger one. so do you think i'm pulling them in from the words wit the peanut butter bait or are they still setup somewhere in my pool house? i really don't want to take out all the containers and shelves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.