Fiberglass vs. Gunite

Mont1421

Feb 6, 2021
Stapleton AL
Hey TFPeeps. Newbie here and I came across this forum while researching different type pools as we are planning to have one put in around May-June. We have labradors that love the water so vinyl is definitely out. Most of the threads regarding the different pool types are older and I am hoping that you will give me the 411, pros and cons of fiberglass vs gunite. We have a good amount of fiberglass pool contractors here (I live on the Eastern Shore in Southern Alabama, about 45 minutes from Gulf Shores and P’Cola Fl. We don’t have cold steady winters here, we have “cold spells” (in my southern slang) just in case weather conditions are needed in your advice/opinions.
Thank you I’m advance.

Reactions: Mont1421
What is the water table like in your area? If is it higher a plaster pool may by the way to go. If it is not an issue then either one would work with the dogs.

A fiberglass pool will get you swimming faster than a plaster pool. The way things are going the plaster pools are way backed up some due to high demand.

NOW something BIG to think about is the skills of the fiberglass installers. They have to know how to dig the hole AND level it just right. That is a skill that is learned over time.

Thank you so much for the response. Water table is no issue. Fiberglass pools are getting more popular in my area as there are several pool dealers that offer the fiberglass option so I’m “assuming” they have experienced installers. Definitely would have a sit down with the contractor if we decide to go with this choice.

my $.02

Fiberglass!

One year in with our fiberglass pool here in middle Tennesse, year one was a breeze. Started install beginning of February 2020, we swam first time on March 29.

Maintenance last year was a breeze, salt for the SWC, and water when it evaporated, thats it. Pool was great all season, clear water, HP warmed/chilled as needed. Enjoyed March thru September, would have gone longer put had a issue with the HP compressor. Manufacturer replace HP in October, validated unit was operational and closed it up for the winter.

i grew up with a Gunite pool in So.Cal. FG is some much easier to maintain and enjoy.

This year will test water and make adjustments based upon TFP.

I spent 3 years researching my decision, FG manufacture and installation is critical.. let me know if you need more info/details

my $.02

Fiberglass!

One year in with our fiberglass pool here in middle Tennesse, year one was a breeze. Started install beginning of February 2020, we swam first time on March 29.

Maintenance last year was a breeze, salt for the SWC, and water when it evaporated, thats it. Pool was great all season, clear water, HP warmed/chilled as needed. Enjoyed March thru September, would have gone longer put had a issue with the HP compressor. Manufacturer replace HP in October, validated unit was operational and closed it up for the winter.

i grew up with a Gunite pool in So.Cal. FG is some much easier to maintain and enjoy.

This year will test water and make adjustments based upon TFP.

I spent 3 years researching my decision, FG manufacture and installation is critical.. let me know if you need more info/details
Thank you so much for your input! We are almost 100% decided on focusing our energy and research on FG with contractors here. In our local FB forum this question was brought up by another poster and she had a FG pool installed that cracked once the ground and backfill settled. Surely this would be covered under the warranty?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think a gunite surface would be a little more dog friendly maybe but don’t know if that would be a concern. Ask the fibreglass contractors for their advise and if they can warrant the surface for use with dogs.

I briefly looked at fibreglass but it wasn’t for us due to building restraints. We needed to build to the boundary and put block walls on the pool shell. That could be done with a fibreglass shell but we also had to make it fit with out of square angles and a our fibreglass pools are not made to measure.

Think about possible restraints such as craning a pool shell over your house, power lines or access to bring a large bulky item to site but these are all things that the contractor should assess for you.

Reactions: Mont1421
Talk to your contractor or potential contractor with photos, it may not be an issue. Or they may have an easy solution. We craned ~40 foot trusses up and over our roof and around the live power lines. The crane operators weren’t fused about it at all.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.