Jun 15, 2022
Mason Neck, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good morning, TFP Pool Experts.

I am new to pool ownership and working hard to better understand pool chemistry and get my water consistently great with minimal chemicals.

My pool specs:
- 12,400 gal fiberglass IG SWG
- automatic cover, cartridge filter, propane heater

Operating context:
- covered > 90% of the time (always when not in use)
- pump running 16 hrs/day (mechanical timer)
- SWG turned off (until Cl decreases)
- weekly "shock" & store-brand conditioner added
- Water Guru sense provides daily pH, temp, & chlorine (can provide after work if needed)
- get water analyzed at pool store every week or 2
- just installed the PoolMath app & figuring that out

I very much like the TFP concept and look forward deepening my knowledge. I'm sure I will upgrade my membership soon. Already looked through many of the "pool school" resources and have some questions below. I will also be ordering a test kit soon to increase my understanding and consistency of chemistry to better inform my treatment plan.

Attached are my current understanding of chemistry ranges and ideal levels as well as the latest results from the store analysis.

Questions :
How should I adjust the ranges I am using?
Does the mostly covered status of my pool impact the ideal levels for any (or all) of my chemistry?
Do I need to worry about my TA & phosphate levels?
Should I start using & monitoring borate levels?
Which test kit would be best for my specific pool & needs?

Thank you for your help and expert recommendations.

Attachments

• PoolChemistry.PNG
    PoolChemistry.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to TFP.
The foundation blocks of TFP are to perform your own testing and to understand and follow the CYA/FC relationship - see FC/CYA Levels

There is no need for "weekly "shock" & store-brand conditioner added"

Great that you have a SWCG. You probably got high FC because of your weekly shock treatments. Really not needed if you maintain your SWCG to have a consistent output to maintain your FC per the CYA/FC chart.

Since you have FG pool, the CH is not critical but good to know. Follow the Pool Math app for recommended ranges based on your pool specifics.

The recommended test kits are Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As noted above, we strongly urge you to test your own water. It's very easy and most importantly - reliable. I wouldn't do any major adjustments to the chemistry based on pool store testing or advice. See the link below for more info.

Reactions: Max.VA
It seems like my order of actions should be:
- shock the pool to correct the Cl difference
- support TFP at the gold level
- purchase TF-Pro with Salt with SmartStir for Pools with SWG & all options with $30 off from TfTestKits
- consider what I need from INYOPools at $25 off
- find the seemingly hidden "TFP Store" and choose any item (clues??)
- figure out the PoolMath app
- learn how to accurately test/measure my pool water
- obtain the right chemicals to make intentional water chemistry adjustments
- enjoy lots of pool time with my daughter and wife (here and between every step above)

Any recommended adjustments?

does anyone have some experience & thoughts regarding if or how I should change my targeted chemistry levels based on my pool being covered at all times when not in use?

A couple things that stand out to me, and would go against just about all the teachings that are done at TFP.

weekly "shock" & store-brand conditioner added
Water Guru sense provides daily pH, temp, & chlorine (can provide after work if needed)
get water analyzed at pool store every week or 2
Shock the pool to correct the Cl difference

As others have mentioned, the only real way to get a hold of the right chemistry is to test yourself with one of the recommended kits. Once you have the kit, and perform all the tests, and have any questions, there are a ton of people who will chime in and help out. But if someone posts their water guru or pool store test results, the help isn't as plentiful as no one trusts those results, and would have a hard time suggesting anything from bad data.

- SWG turned off (until Cl decreases)
- shock the pool to correct the Cl difference
These two statements seem to contradict each other. You have the SWCG off because of what is believed to be too high of chlorine? If that is the case, you wouldn't want to add more shock to the pool, that will increase the chlorine.

Once you get a good set of results, the Pool Math app will help you in what needs to be done. Chlorine, CYA, etc. and the right amounts.

does anyone have some experience & thoughts regarding if or how I should change my targeted chemistry levels based on my pool being covered at all times when not in use?
The targeted chemistry for PH, TA, CL, is the same whether you have the pool covered or not. The biggest decision you will need to make is where you want your CYA to settle, knowing the pool is mostly covered. Normally, people use the CYA/Chlorine chart as the targets. Say your target CYA is 60, then your chlorine target would be 7-9. That is still a target, no matter if you have a covered pool or not. But, some can get away with a lower CYA number in the summer if the pool is mostly closed and the sun is not constantly burning off the chlorine. So lets say your new target CYA is 40, your chlorine target would be 5-7.

Not to beat the ole dead horse, but the test results, from a good test, will guide you next. Without knowing what your CYA is right now, you can't make that decision. Once you have those results, you will be dialed in in no time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Max.VA
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.