Fiberglass Pool with Heater CH "too low" - not sure ?

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Been following and using the TFP method since day one of new pool....and though I got it.

However in reading a few threads I am not so sure. Specifically do I need to worry about my "low" CH.

Water is TFP Clear of course...

I have a fiberglass pool, with a heat pump

FC - 4.0 (end of day after a ton of swimming) adjusted the Stenner for a slightly higher target
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
CYA - 50
TA 110 (always creeps up, but seems to stabilize around this number, know I should drive pH down and aerate at some point)
CH - 50

Do I need to worry about the CH ? If so for my pool, is the 220-320 range what I should target ?

Thanks in advance!

Newer (no idea of timeframe) fiberglass pools should be indifferent to the CH in regards to to calcium, although I have seen where CH levels are recommended to reduce the chance of cobalt staining.

Heaters should also be indifferent to CH levels, although you will find that all the manufacturers recommend certain levels of CH. I think this is a hold over from old boilers that required a layer of scale in the pipes to protect them. That is just not need to todays heaters.

Low CH isn’t usually a concern in non-plaster pools, unless you have equipment that requires a certain hardness level.

I agree with everything noted above. But just so we don't seem wishy-washy, just remember that the TFP recommend CH range was developed to take into account a variety of chemistry and pool type/equipment scenarios which is why for "simplicities' sake" we have that range. That would be our "textbook answer". :) Of course you do have the option to keep it lower if you like based on your equipment and water conditions, which I myself have done for my own personal reasons at times as well. But for the average owner who is simply trying to keep everything "between the lines", the established ranges for all chemicals make TFP pool care easy. That's what TFP is about - easy, reliable pool care.

As a FB owner myself, I think 50 is a bit low. If nothing else for protection from staining. If you fill from a well that could be another concern. If your local water is hard, seasonal refills should increase it on its own fairly soon. But I'd keep an eye on everything just to make sure.

By the way … if your pH is stable, don't worry about the TA. In your area, many would give their right ear for a TA that low. A happy pH is all that matters.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.