Fiberglass pool-raise pH

Apr 5, 2020
Magnolia, TX
Hi all, I’m still learning about my pool, but I’ve always been able to keep chlorine and pH perfect but they alkalinity has always been low, I finally decided to tack that this week and I added the correct amount of baking soda to raise the TA, but now my pH has gone way down. I’m reading that soda ash cannot he used in a fiberglass pool, to use baking soda instead, but won’t that make my alkalinity too high? Help please

If you added baking soda, that raises your TA and your pH. pH by only a little.

I see you do not have any tests saved in your Poolmath logs. Either save your tests there or post one here. From your own test kit.

alkalinity has always been low, I finally decided to tack that this week and I added the correct amount of baking soda to raise the TA, but now my pH has gone way down.
What was the pH and TA before you added the baking soda?

How much baking soda did you add?

What else have you added besides the baking soda?

If you only added baking soda, the pH would have gone up, not down.

TA was 40, pH was 7.6, I added 7lbs of baking soda (9000 gallon pool), and that’s it. Originally the pH went up too high (8.0) and I was thinking we would need to bring got down with ma, but we had a lot of rain yesterday and last night so I checked it again just in case and it was down to what I recorded today

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.