fiberglass pool - is it scale?

Redrum

May 12, 2023
Labadie, Mo
Exactly! Been there and have been doing that as well. :) We're optimists right? :crazy: It's all the way the sun penetrates the water depending on the time of day, angle, cloud cover, etc. I'm 99.9% confident in my assessment of calcium silicate now and I'm still sanding away. I don't expect to do the entire pool, but I do want to hit the waterline down to a couple feet and some other areas this season to help it blend better. One day I might find the perfect tool that will help me zip through this process, but for now it's lots of elbow grease. At my age, there's not much grease left. :) Once I make some serious headway and have more data collected, I'll post a new thread of my own about my experiences and put a link to it in all my fellow "FB chalkiness" owner's threads - like yours. :)
Hey Texas. Have you had any luck with your scale problem? My 2 yr old fiberglass seems to have the same problem I’m seeing with other people in here. The pool color is lighter, zero beach entry type. I never knew anything bad was going on until I drained it down to close last fall. The scale seems heavy on the area that ramps up but not so much on the walls. I’m on top of my chemistry daily. Nothing has been so far off for any amount of time to set me up for scaling that I can tell. I’ve tried some different kinds of snake oils this spring with no effect. It laughs at me and won’t come off scrubbing with 100% muriatic either. I just recently tried using the csi values as a guide. It seems that my numbers usually run slightly negative so I still dont get it. Just when I thought I had this pool / hottub stuff figured out. My hot tub has no issue. I do use well water in both. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Moved from here.

Attachments

• IMG_9095.jpeg
    IMG_9095.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: It's difficult to see anything in the pic you posted, and your shell color is much lighter than mine which makes it hard to see any contract between the waterline and below. But what you are describing may not be scale. At first that's what I thought it was, then later came to a different conclusion. In short, my gelcoat simply transitioned to what can only be described as a natural and expected process when fiberglass is submerged below chlorinated water over an extended period of time.

Most of my experience was when I was managing my FC level with liquid chlorine, but now I have since converted to salt for a couple years, so I'm still evaluating the difference when I perform a gelcoat test. Below is my experience if you haven't already read that thread.

Be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info and include which test kit you are using. I would also recommend posting a full set of water test results just so we have something as a baseline to evaluate during this discussion.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page, and welcome to the forum. :swim:

Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: It's difficult to see anything in the pic you posted, and your shell color is much lighter than mine which makes it hard to see any contract between the waterline and below. But what you are describing may not be scale. At first that's what I thought it was, then later came to a different conclusion. In short, my gelcoat simply transitioned to what can only be described as a natural and expected process when fiberglass is submerged below chlorinated water over an extended period of time.

Most of my experience was when I was managing my FC level with liquid chlorine, but now I have since converted to salt for a couple years, so I'm still evaluating the difference when I perform a gelcoat test. Below is my experience if you haven't already read that thread.

Be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info and include which test kit you are using. I would also recommend posting a full set of water test results just so we have something as a baseline to evaluate during this discussion.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page, and welcome to the forum. :swim:

Hey. I got tired of pulling my hair out and took a break so now I’m back for more. I’ll add some better pics and chem levels shortly. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.