Fiberglass Pool Install - Small Cracks and Hollow Voids

dfisher25

Jan 12, 2021
Roanoke, VA
Hello everyone. I did a "factory assist" fiberglass pool install this summer where I dug the hole, did all the plumbing and finish work. The broker assisted me with the gravel placement and setting of the pool. The install went fairly well but at the worst spot I'm about 3/4" our of level. At the time, I didn't think much of this but after finishing with concrete, it is very noticeable, however, this is now my cross to bear and I will try to get over it. About 1/2" of this resulted in the pool shell itself being out of level. My biggest concern at this point, and I stay up at night researching, is some cracking and hollow spots. I have had many fiberglass boats and realize gelcoat cracks are just part of the game. I have some small vertical cracks in the corners that a barely noticeable and this doesn't bother me as I see why the corners would crack. My concern is two cracks at the shallow end where the wall meets the floor. They are about 3 feet long and run horizontal. They are very thing and would be mistaken for a long hair. My question is, when do I become worried or starting thinking about doing something? They drive me crazy but it is what it is. Do I just wait to see if they leak? My second concern is a hollow area of the floor that measures about 5 feet wide by 3 feet long. It starts at the base of the stairs and extends towards the deep end. My hollow comment is based on the noise it makes when you stomp on it. Any recommendations to do anything now? Or just wait and see and then address? I haven't brought the manufacturer or broker in yet as I'm just about positive they will find a way to wiggle out of the warranty or blame it on me. The pool was constructed on virgin ground that was compacted prior to placing a geotectile fabric. About 3-5 inches of washed 3/8 diameter stone was then spread on that.

For what it is worth, I'm a mechanical contractor who does excavation, cast in place tanks and plumbing for a living and would not recommend the factory assist to anyone. Pretty certain it didn't save me any money and ultimately put all failures on me. Oh well, live and learn just looking for some feedback that may help me sleep better at night and stop thinking about breaking up the concrete that was poured three weeks ago to address the void/crack issues. Thank you!\

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    748.5 KB · Views: 38
"D", it sounds as if you're in a position to just leave those issues as they are and try not to let them drive you nuts. :crazy: Installing with only 1/2 to 3/4 inch is still within FG install guidelines and a testimony to you own work experience. :goodjob: Honestly, once you have people over, no one will notice it unless you point it out.

As for the hairline crack and void, same thing. The crack may just be a superficial gelcoat thing, so as long as there is not water loss you should be fine. Nothing you can do with the void without lifting the pool, so that's out. But our pools are quite strong, so you should be okay there. Go out and have cold one and try not to let it get to you too much. :cheers: Enjoy. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.