fiberglass pool flaking?

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
i noticed this issue last August. it appears a layer of “something” is peeling off.
i contacted Sun Pools, the manufacturer, last september, only to get the run around.
i’m going to call them again this week and see what they’re going to do.
anybody have any ideas?1080921080931080943F5A374C-D905-4017-AD57-FE510EEE3374.png3B77BC08-FB53-4B94-A6B6-8EB0887D73E7.jpeg084F2A33-9898-4E7D-899C-067EF2B0A2B6.jpeg

Looks like the gelcoat is chipping off. If this is happening at multiple locations, then it's a problem. Is this a new pool? Still under warranty? I would't let them give you the run-around. If they do, keep asking for the next level of supervision up, until you get to the president, if necessary.

I don't think you can get a proper repair done without draining. Is this one flake the only area in the pool that has chipped? I'd be concerned, based on the location, that it's a stress area that might continue to crack.

Edit: How big is that area in your second picture? Is it the size of the flake in your hand or is it bigger? Hard to see but it looks like it's delaminating more at the bottom(?)

They ask questions about water chemistry, pool chlorine, etc, so they can blame any issues on you!!! (Pool Building 101)

Did Sun cover this? Have you fixed the problem? And if so how?
sun pools changed owners last year. the new owners gave me the run around from aug 2018 to june of this year.
finally i talked with a person from Sun that put me in contact with the previous owner who agreed to do something. so i still have the problem, but it’s supposed to get fixed in early october. we will see

Did they ever come and fix your pool? Our build just got wrapped up and there is a black spot on the deep end wall between the two main drains that won't come off. The builders guy that does "pool school" came out today and he tried a stain remover and he agrees with me in thinking there is an issue with the pool surface. So now they are going to have to turn it into Sun. Pool is less than two months old :( Really not excited about the thought of having to drain and refill a brand new pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hi tabitha... tell your pb the new owners of Sun can give you the run around.
i’m still dealing with the former owner. we had decided to wait after the pool season is over to drain the pool. so i should know in the next few weeks.
good luck,

mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.