Fiberglass needs repairing

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
Newer pool owner (existing pool built in late 2017), and today I threw on some googles and took a look at the walls. The surface obviously has some issues, the worst area is near the stairs. There are large areas where the surface is discolored and two spots where the coating is off and you can see a small bit of the actual fiberglass. I'm surprised this is happening so soon, but I have no clue how the previous couple of homeowners maintained the pool.

-Is it dangerous to have this exposed in the water for swimmers that may touch it?

-Is it time to entertain a partial or full resurfacing? Cost estimate on a smaller 5,000 gallon? Is it even possible to drain, repair, and not float the pool out of the ground?

You can probably swim as long as everyone knows not to rub-up against the exposed area just so that they don't potentially get any fiberglass particles in their skin. Yes, FG pools can be emptied and resurfaced, but it's a job for the pros. They will brace the pool in various ways prior to removing the water to keep it in place both laterally and from pop-out. I can't tell you how much a complete gelcoat would cost, but it should make your pool look like new again. If you go that route, be sure to post some before & after pics.

I just had my circa 1984 FB pool repaired and recoated with AquaBrite. Like most jobs, the prep work is critical to a professional outcome. Here is a picture of it with the final top coat on. I haven't taken any pictures with it full yet, but will try to post some. I love the look and feel of the new finish. Total cost was ~7500.

Attachments

• AquaBRIGHT.jpeg
    AquaBRIGHT.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.